Dolphin does not show details (Context | Properties)

First. Details for media files works for files on local file systems. But, I keep 99% of the files (video and audio) on servers. I mount the exported drives with smb (in fstab typically like //movies / cifs )

I have only checked for video and audio but I assume this behavior is the same for all types. Is this a known bug or limitation by design? Seems the Preview size option for remote storage makes no difference, which makes sense to me since Properties is not about mass previews, but one file at a time.

Edit. Posting this message mostly killed the formatting of the fstab content. How it is done there is perhaps not important.

See:

Right.

Anyone knows if there is an application (GUI, not terminal - the latter would defeat using Dolphin in the first place) that can be used to show information like what the Details tab does for local files, for all locations?

Dolphin can show the remote file’s basic stat, while KFileMetaData still needs a local filesystem path for media tags. Mount the SMB, NFS, or sshfs share first, then open that mounted path in Dolphin. kfilemetadata and ffmpegthumbs cover the KDE side. For a quick GUI check on video or audio, MediaInfo does the job. Direct smb:// or fish:// URLs usually won’t populate the Details tab for every file.

I have an SMB share mounted in the fstab, and I still get the behaviour that OP describes - no Details tab.

All the drives I am raising this question / issue about are mounted. Seems to be rather old (mis)-behavior according to the linked bug in another reply.