Dolphin doesn't show a single app in the Open With menu

Title is pretty self explanatory, I am providing an image of it.

I tried deleting the app mime list from the .config dir, aswell as resetting kdeglobals and all the other related files.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Is Dolphin running as a Flatpak or Snap? Are there are any unusual or notable configuration changes on your system? I notice, for one, that you’re using a monospaced font, so it seems possible you have a heavily customized setup. To rule out configuration-related issues, it can help to try to reproduce the issue in a new clean user account.

Hi, it shouldn’t be a config issue since it worked fine on gentoo and nix(I am on arch now).
I can’t post links here but you can find the full .config dir on my github(nnra6864), repo is called Hyprnord.
Also, I am using dolphin from the arch package manager.
Again, as for the font, it’s very unlikely that’s the issue since I used the same one on nix and gentoo(Cascadia Code/CaskaydiaCove).

I just confirmed it’s not the font by changing it to Cantarell.
I see now that I forgot to post the log when running dolphin from terminal.

╭─    ~                                                                       04:17:37 
╰─❯ dolphin
Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #d
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #pattern912
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #pattern909
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #d
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #pattern912
qt.svg: /home/nnra/.local/share/icons/Nordzy-dark/places/scalable/user-trash-full.svg:190:6: Could not resolve property: #pattern909
Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.

Make sure you have kservice installed.

I do, I tried both kservice5 and kservice(which is 6 on arch)+reboot and nothing.

ok, whilst rebooting, I got stuck for 1:30 and it seems to be kded6, possibly related:

Apr 30 12:42:11 nnra systemd[1]: Stopped MariaDB 11.3.2 database server.
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: session-1.scope: Stopping timed out. Killing
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: session-1.scope: Killing process 31019 (kded6) with sign
al SIGKILL.
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: session-1.scope: Failed to kill control grou
p /user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-1.scope, ignoring: Invalid argument
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: session-1.scope: Failed with result 'timeout
'.
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: Stopped Session 1 of User nnra.
Apr 30 12:43:41 nnra systemd[1]: session-1.scope: Consumed 1d 7h 18min 24.024s CPU time,
29.3G memory peak, 0B memory swap peak.

Try running command kbuildsycoca6.

This should be automatic unless you use the un-recommended by KDE meta package plasma-meta.

I am not using any kind of plasma, I am on Hyprland.
╭─    ~   16:25:19 
╰─❯ kbuildsycoca6
kbuildsycoca6 running…
“applications.menu” not found in QList(“/etc/xdg/menus”)

That’s quite relevant! Would have been good to mention this at the very beginning.

1 Like

I see, my bad.
I noticed that this might be related to xdg so I rechecked for portals and I have both kde and hyprland portals so that shouldn’t be it.

╭─    ~                                                                                                                                                                                                              16:33:05 
╰─❯ pacman -Qs xdg-desktop-portal
local/xdg-desktop-portal 1.18.4-1
    Desktop integration portals for sandboxed apps
local/xdg-desktop-portal-hyprland 1.3.1-6
    xdg-desktop-portal backend for hyprland
local/xdg-desktop-portal-kde 6.0.4-1 (plasma)
    A backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal using Qt/KF5

Ok, I solved this thanks to a reddit post I can’t link.
I had plasma-applications.menu in /etc/xdg/menus(which is what seems to be the new standard if I am not mistaken).
I tried running:

╭─    ~                                                                                          05:18:21 
╰─❯ kbuildsycoca6
kbuildsycoca6 running...
"applications.menu"  not found in  QList("/etc/xdg/menus")

Which confirmed my suspicion that it was looking for the old file name for some reason.
This is where the solution comes from, just create a symlink and it should be fixed:

sudo ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/plasma-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so others don’t have to go through a similar thing.
Thanks.