Dolphin (or Ark) eating free space. Where does it go?

Hi!

Knowing that I can peek inside compressed files in Dolphin i double clicked a 64 GB .tar.gz file. While doing this I thought: well, this takes time, perhaps it extracts the entire file first. Knowing that I only had 68 GB of free space on disk I quickly closed the Dolphin window.

Opening it again I could see that I only had 17 GB of disk space left. So it seems the file was partly extracted, somewhere. How could I reclaim this space? Where is there temporary storage for extraction?

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240104
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.9-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
System Version: V1.12

Did a notification appear from Ark or Dolphin? Nothing should have been extracted unless a file is previewed or extracted in Ark or by the context menu in Dolphin.
If a file is previewed in Ark, the file is temporary extracted to /tmp/ark-[random]/path/to/file and then deleted when Ark is closed.
I would try using something like QDirStat to locate and remove this large partially extracted file.

Nope. Not sure it was Ark that opened it. The compressed files open like normal folders in Dolphin when they are double clicked. I never get any notifications when I do this.

Nothing at /tmp/ark-*.

I tried and did not find anything suspicious.

@mikael:

Open “Konqueror” → select “Home Folder” → select “View” → “View Mode” → “File Size View” …

If that doesn’t show anything then, you’ll need to inspect ‘/tmp/’ and ‘/var/’ …

BTW, both “Konqueror” and “Filelight” «here on openSUSE the package “filelight”» include the “dot” hidden directories – ‘$HOME/.local/’ for example – in their file size displays …