Dynamic text in files proxy

In the Dynamic Text effect, when the timeline files are proxy files, the printout shows the proxies, which makes them lose their purpose. Why bother knowing the name of the proxy (a long string of numbers and letters) when on the timeline the file name isn’t the proxy’s but the original’s? The same goes for all the other keys like vertical resolution, horizontal resolution, creation date, etc. Logically, the keys that should be printed are those of the original file, as those are the ones that can be useful for identifying the file’s properties. Maybe this is already possible, but I don’t know how to do it.

This happens on the timeline, however the exported file does use the original files, so why not do it in the program monitor? It would make more sense.

Where can I request that the dynamic text effect shows the information from the original file both in the sequence monitor and in the exported file?

Currently, it shows the proxy information in the sequence monitor and the original file information in the exported file.

In the effect key window, it says ‘Original Width,’ but in the sequence monitor, it shows the width of the proxy file instead of the original file width, which is 3840; the same happens with the clip name, creation date,…

Have you tried applying the effect on the clip in the bin? Does that show the original file properties?

Checked, it keeps reporting the proxy, not the original.

Ok, thanks for checking.

I also checked how Shotcut (the video editor created and maintained by the team behind MLT) is doing it: same thing. The filter seems to strictly use the producer data which in case of a proxy file in the timeline is the proxy file :wink:

To get that changed you’ll need to ask MLT to change the way the data is collected and give the user a choice what source is used: the original file or the proxy.

Before you do that, though, I’d recommend to come up with a use case why that information is so important during editing when the rendered video has the correct data. You’d also need to think about what to do if the use_proxy_data option is selected and the render is started: should the render then ignore that setting, warn the user, or use it? Do you need a new keyword for the proxy file data?

(Before you do that, though, I’d recommend to come up with a use case why that information is so important during editing when the rendered video has the correct data. You’d also need to think about what to do if the option is selected and the render is started: should the render then ignore that setting, warn the user, or use it? Do you need a new keyword for the proxy file data?use_proxy_data)

In my opinion, the question would be, what use is it in editing to be informed of the proxy file name when if KDEnlive creates it, it’s a string of numbers and letters with no relation or meaning to the original file name? What use is the proxy resolution information? As well as the other proxy data reported by the ‘Dynamic Text’ effect.

The valid information is what it puts in the exported file, and the question is, why does it change the proxy’s source data to the real original? I answer myself: because the proxy data is useless. If I want to know exactly which file I’m viewing and its properties, I only want to see the original file’s data so I can go to the file explorer and carry out the audit actions I need.

And why go to Windows Explorer? Well, because in the media window, when selecting the properties of a file, it shows me the proxy properties, not the original file’s. The “Dynamic text” effect is a huge help, but only if you DON’T use proxy files. But if it’s a 4K project with a 50Mb bitrate that takes up more than 8 GB and has over 200 files, using proxies becomes essential, and the effect becomes useless because to make it useful you have to export the file to see it in a player. Depending on whether it’s final quality or a lower resolution and quality version, the export can take up to 24 hours. I don’t think that’s a good option (maybe there’s another way, but I don’t know it).

And as for the usefulness, for me, of the effect showing the data of the original file instead of the proxy: I have a timeline with many clips and it is good for me to see the data of the original file in the sequence monitor to make editing decisions without having to extend the timeline to show the name of the file and with this go to Windows explorer to see the metadata that may interest me (remember that in properties/media folder it only reports the proxy file).

And as for the usefulness of showing me the data of the proxy file, I can’t think of any.

Hmm, that’s an interesting use case. Let’s see how MLT reacts to it when you open a discussion with them.

I’m very new to this whole thing of communicating technical topics, I don’t even know where to turn.

Can you guide me on this?

Thank you very much.

Sorry for my bad English, it’s not my native language and I’m using Google Translate.

You’ll need an account on Github. Then go to the MLT repository and either

Then wait for what is coming back :wink: