EndeavourOS switched its live and offline installation desktop to KDE Plasma

Goodbye Xfce, hello Plasma

From the start, we shipped our ISOs with a slightly customized Xfce live environment and offline install option. Now, more than four years down the line, it is getting harder for us to keep the customized Xfce live environment maintained against the progress made in the Calamares installer. This is why we are saying goodbye to Xfce and switching to Plasma from Galileo and forward. KDE Plasma offers a more native development experience for the team and therefore it is easier to maintain.

This is the main and only reason for this switch and keep in mind, we are only talking about the live environment and the offline installation option. Every user is free to choose the DE or WM the installer offers. And for those who prefer the offline install option, Plasma can run on most older machines up to ten to twelve years down the line. Plasma isn’t the high-resource environment as it used to be.

9 Likes

The world domination plan proceeds apace

16 Likes

Pretty cool that the emphasis in their post was on the ease for distribution developers to work with Plasma, as I think it’s already a gimme that Plasma would be the natural choice for users to make an easy transition - an intuitive interface and modern styling, plus a great ecosystem.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I just wish they would go with vanilla Plasma instead of their color theme (not that changing it is hard but somehow it just doesn’t feel right).

3 Likes

Any reason why EndeavourOS isn’t in the list of KDE-supporting distributions yet?

https://community.kde.org/Distributions

–
PS I too agree EndeavourOS should offer vanilla KDE Plasma as default.

1 Like

Probably because they do not really support it.

They do support it (afaik), they even switched to it for the live medium:

Probably because nobody has done it yet. Luckily its a wiki, so you can do it yourself if you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, they do mention this on the download page:
“The Calamares installer guides you through the first steps of installing the system with the option for an offline KDE Plasma installation or an online installation with plenty of choices…”

That sounds hacky to say the least.
If they were to release a KDE flavoured installation iso, I would agree.

Are you a ubuntu or fedora user? :smiley:

Disclaimer I never used endeavour:
Its probably like Arch or Tumbleweed: There are no flavours or spins. There is only one ISO (for all DE’s/WM’s) and you just click a checkbox what to install.

1 Like

Neither.
I use manjaro unstable, because I am to lazy to use pure Arch. xD

It seems this is what you have to do:

So I agree with it not being on the KDE list of “supported distributions”.
But if they release a KDE flavoured installation iso, it should immediately be added to the list.
And I suspect it is coming…

When it does, I will try out EndeavourOS immediately.
The only reason I have not is because I am not interested in Gnome or xfce, I want KDE and no other leftovers on my system after a fresh install. :slight_smile:

…their installation ISO is KDE Plasma only. There’s no way to install EndeavourOS without at least interacting with KDE Plasma in the installer. More than can be said for even openSUSE Tumbleweed.

There are options for other DEs in their installer, but if Debian - one of the most poorly matched distribution + desktop environment combinations that one can get - is listed on that page, then EndeavourOS absolutely should be.

3 Likes

Added it. Thanks for pointing it out.

4 Likes

I could not confirm this from their webpage other than the methods I posted.
Wonder why they do not add that to their desktop env webpage… :thinking:

Thank you for clearing that up.
Now I am curious since I thought gnome/xfce was still the standard. :slight_smile:

https://pkgstats.archlinux.de/compare/packages#packages=budgie-desktop,cinnamon,gnome-shell,lxde-common,mate-panel,plasma-workspace,xfdesktop

NB: pkgstats on https://pkgstats.archlinux.de/ only covers usage numbers in percent, not real download numbers. So the following graph reflects data only from people who installed pkgstats package and accepted to enable its background service to collect and send their anonymous and non-identifiable data.

3 Likes

Have to agree, with respect, the EOS guys and community are friendly and nice but that wallpaper/background they 've created must be one of the ugliest I’ve ever seen :rofl:

And that obsession with purple… it’s just too dark without much contrast. Imo that distro would be cooler if they would just rename it “DeepPurple OS” with “Child in time”'s extra sound effects for Plasma 6 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t get me wrong, I like EOS and would probably? recommend it as… the 2nd choice after Arch :stuck_out_tongue:

What took you so long? The Calamares installer? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:

1 Like

:smile: :speak_no_evil:

:+1: