[Feature Request] Use Lua scripts as plugins to automate small tasks?

Like in a game called Minetest written in C++, can we add a plugin/mod system in Kdenlive using Lua?

Example task that can be automated:

• To insert clips at guides.
  • Writing a script to calculate the fade transition duration based on the total duration of the clip and then apply it.
  • Perform cuts based on Guides - so script playhead/timeline cursor to move and perform cut at each (or specific type of guides)
  • Save custom render scripts (not referring to project settings)
  • and more (I don’t have more ideas at the moment, but will add later once I get it).

The point is some things may come up by user and need not be included into the main program and can be posted in KDE Community like custom effects, transitions and let users download it.

The topic of scripting in Kdenlive is being discussed since quite some time. IIRC, it requires a rather significant change of the program’s architecture. Not sure whether the dev team has the stomach to do that any time soon given all the other things on the roadmap. But you never know.

Perform cuts based on Guides - so script playhead/timeline cursor to move and perform cut at each (or specific type of guides)

This can be done by using ALT+arrow keys to jump from guide to guide and then press SHIFT+R. I know this is tedious if you have many guides but I am strill trying to see the use case: If you set the guide why not cut it at the same time?

Save custom render scripts (not referring to project settings)

You can do that already in the render dialog window.

1 Like

Like in my Audio Beat Sync Tutorial, you can import multiple guides at the same time, but you can’t cut all at the same time.

Scripting would be a great feature to have whether in lua or python, the question is who will do it? Unfortunately the core team does not have the manpower to do it… Maybe you can help mounting a team at your local university to assume this task. :wink:

2 Likes