Find and remove "leaves"

I installed and removed a lot of packages. I think unused dependencies are removed by sudo dnf autoremove and
sudo dnf clean all
but in .config and other places, I still see a lot of files from removed applications. Is there a way to easily find and delete those? I think GTKOrphan did something like that?
Or is there a clear list of folders where to look?

I don’t think there is a great way to do this. Sounds more like a distribution issue to me.
Since you are using fedora (?), you might get better advice there.

Thanks Duha, yes, I’m using Fedora. I’m often in doubt where I should post my question, if it’s the distro or the DE… But true, in this case that would be Fedora as distro.

EDIT: so I posted the question in the Fedora-forum, should I delete my post here?

No need to delete the post. Somebody might know the answer.

To my knowledge there is no automated way to clean up files left in places like ~/.config or ~/.local/share after you uninstall programs.

Now, if you install all your programs via Flatpak, this feature does exist, and Discover will give you the opportunity to clean the leftover files after you uninstall the programs. This is made possible by the fact that Flatpak apps install their flies in little containerized zones that can be known by the system. But for distro-packaged apps, they’ll just dump their files in places like ~/.config or ~/.local/share and nothing on the system exists to associate those files with the apps that put them there.

1 Like

Just as an addendum, this is by design. Distro packages are never supposed to touch your home, whether it’s installing or uninstalling packages.

So that would be an advantage of Flatpaks!

Yes, but also files outside the home-folder are kept.
But I learned it’s safer to just leave them. It’s a little hard, if I see a file in etc or wherever that’s called “Claws Mail”, while I don’t use that program anymore, to NOT remove it though :-D.

I’m not familiar with dnf but (logically) it should have a syntax for removing system configuration files (or backups) similar to Arch’s pacman -Rn or Debian’s apt remove --purge (or apt purge if you prefer).