Firefox crashes KDE Plasma desktop

I have been here before. Firefox not only crashes (that would be okish) but it takes the KDE Desktop with it, making it super difficult to trouble shoot. In what way can I isolate an application from doing such nasty things to the KDE desktop?

Try creating a new USER and see if it happens there - this is something that really makes little sense, so first check if it’s Plasma or Firefox.

After that, create a new Firefox profile and test that.

If you’re asking for help, you must give relevant information - try something like inxi -zv8 or even just kinfo.

💡 Legibility Tip pasting code

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

Information from logs, or just output launching in the terminal can help too…

In this case it was the (nvdia) rpmfusion graphic drivers that were not updated in a dnf up the is running automatically.

I have the same problem without an nvidia graphic card. If I open firefox with a new profile, it works OK the first time but when I open firefox agian with multiple tabs, something crashed and I need to do a hard reboot. As the music continue to play in the background, I know it is not a kernel panic or something like that. It seems like it hang kwin and grabs all inputs methods in the process.

Any idea on how to debug this?

More information. I am using stable Gentoo at the moment (except KDE and firefox).

  • Tested with firefox-156, 155 and 140.16 both compiled and upstream binary versions with the same results.
  • Empty profile in firefox shows not problem but when a large set of tabs are loaded at start up, something blow up (most probably kwin). Sound continue working in the background (strawberry), so it is not a kernel issue.
  • In 6.7.5 the behavior it is not shown no it is 100% sure something related to changes made to plasma 6.8.

Should I fill a bug report? What information should I provide?

Then it is in fact not the same problem.

You should create a new thread with

  • all the info you’ve provided here
  • and detailing exactly how the issue happens,
  • and any troubleshooting you have already done,
  • your system information inxi -zv8,
  • kinfo