Firewall - Any Reason Not to Enable It with Default Settings?

Firewall is disabled by default. When I enable it with default settings, being default incoming policy set at Ignore and default outgoing policy set at Allow, I notice no problems.

Any reason I should not enable it as such?

What are the pros and cons here? Not sure why KDE Neon doesn’t ship with it enabled in that loose configuration.

With it disabled, instead of ignoring incoming connections, I am allowing them?

Do I want to allow incoming connections for anything legitimate?

You’re saying ‘Firewall is disabled by default’.

Does this mean it comes installed with KDE Neon by default?

The Linux kernel has, basically, a built-in firewall - so technically all Linux distributions have that firewall.

I think, as a normal private user without server services it’s not necessary to do more than that (though on Reddit, unlike the many Linux forums I inhabited, I notice that it’s often recommended, but without good reasoning).

Partly the reasoning might be that it takes some expertise to properly set up an active firewall, and Linux is still secure without the extra setup. It would be unwise for distributions to start coming up with arbritrary ‘default settings’ which aren’t necessary for my use case.

Having run tests, you might notice that you don’t have any open ports, and your computer cannot be accessed by intruders.

So basically, if you’re interested, then you can install and set up UFW, GUFW, or learn to use iptables.

You asked a very general question, what would be interesting would be for you to argue WHY you think it would be good, and what it would do for you.

For me, no benefit whatsoever.