From Thunderbird to KMail

I have been using Thunderbird for years, but annoying bugs existing for years and never corrected, recent evolutions of absolutely no interest bringing regression and new bugs, … make me try to use KMail.
I use KMail version 5.23.1 with OS Mageia Linux 9.
Configuration of KMail is much less simple than the configuration of Thunderbird, but I finally obtained what I want :
• A folder for each email account (6 accounts),
• 3 subfolders for received emails, sent emails, drafts.

But I think some things must be corrected in KMail. So :
• I ask for help in the Help forum,
• I suggest some evolutions through messages in the Brainstorm forum,
• I ask for correcting what I consider as bugs through KDE Bugtracking System.

I hope I’ll obtain soon a more user-friendly mail client.

Pierre

1 Like

Hello, I’ve recently evaluated the usage of KMail instead of Thunderbird, too. But I wasn’t really successful so far to configure KMail the way that I want, so I had given it up for the time being.

One of my main problems is related to this:

Do you mean by this that you managed to get an own “folder hierarchy” for each of your accounts, like in Thunderbird (each account has its Inbox, Sent etc. subfolders)? If yes, can you describe the necessary steps here? I haven’t found a way to this so far…

Another puzzling thing for me was that I couldn’t get KMail not to store the passwords for my accounts - I don’t want them to be stored somewhere on disk, and I’m fine with typing them in every time I fetch mails.

Before you switch, you might try Betterbird. A Thunderbird with faster bug fixes and additional features that were frequently asked for but Moz chose to ignore.

It does use the original TB folder/profiles. Only if you use its nested filter criteria, TB will balk if you go back.

Bonjour,

I thank you klirtax for your answer.

A few days ago I read about Betterbird, for the moment I do not decide to try it. If I do, I’ll save the .thunderbird config folder in my /home directory to be able to go back to Thunderbird.

I am curious, a few months ago I «invested» a lot of time to learn how to configure and use KMail, but I did not decide to use it. Today, because of what Thunderbird is and becomes, I decided firmly to use another mail client, my first choice is KMail.

(I also installed Evolution which seems to be a good piece of software …)

So, I am investing some more time to obtain a user-friendly (from my point of view) mail client with KMail, I hope I’ll get it through the KDE forum and by bugs reporting.

Pierre

2 Likes

Bonjour,

I thank you janr for your answer. I am to prepare copies of main window and different parameters windows I’ll send you.
Hereafter is the main window of KMail with 6 accounts. Is it what you want ?
The subfolders are 1_Reçus (Received), 2_Envoyés (Sent), 3_Brouillons (Drafts). Even I added a figure as a prefix in the folder name, I didn’t get the order Reçus, Brouillons, Envoyés.

Pierre

1 Like

Hereafter are some windows of KMail configuration.
If needed, ask me for what you don’t understand.

Pierre

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Pierre, thanks a lot for the detailed screenshots :slight_smile:

Yes, this is the way I wanted to configure KMail! My main problem when trying to “clone” your setup is that I have no clue how I can create the respective “top-level folders” for my individual mail accounts outside of “Local folders”. When I try to manually create a new folder, it is always just a subfolder of “Local folders”, and I haven’t found a way to move it to the top level.

Here is a screenshot of what I’m trying to do but fail because I can’t create the folders like “Mail_Provider_1” etc.

Kind regards, Jan

Are the named mailers the only one to fulfill your needs? There are so many compared in Wikipedia, and one of them might be the one and only forevermore. :smile:

Until you start using nested filter criteria, you can switch back and forth ad libitum. I do it every time I want to see if some behaviour or suspected bug is original Thunderbird or due to the Betterbird changes. (But backups are generally recommended, I hear… :slight_smile: )

To create the top-level folder, do it with Dolphin : create the folder in /home/user/.local/share/
.local is a hidden folder – > Display hidden folders
Once created, use the folder in :

OK ?

Pierre

1 Like

Ah, that’s the trick!
It seems to work like I want when I create a new Maildir and set its folder to something like ~/.local/share/Name_of_Provider .
Much thanks for your help!

I give up the use of KMail

I was hoping in KMail !
After having used KMail for a while, I give up. Finally, I encountered much more problems / bugs than I do with Thunderbird !
I reported a few bugs, but I stopped, there are too many bugs ! And some improvements should be done.
I have not enough time to spend for reporting bugs or requesting improvements which in fact will perhaps never be corrected / implemented …

Sorry …

Pierre

1 Like