GIF screen recorder similar to ShareX?

As the title says, have a feature to do a quick screen recording and save it as a gif, similar to ShareX feature. Like in this video using ShareX (video is loud btw).

1 Like

There is an application called Peek that is amazing for this however it only works on x11, not on Wayland (yet). It’s very easy to use and exports to several file formats including gif.

2 Likes

A LOT of things work only on x11 which is why it makes no damn sense for KDE to make Wayland the default for Plasma 6.

1 Like

Making it the default and removing it entirely are two different things. I have been using Wayland only for close to a year on my desktop (NVIDIA) and even longer on my laptop. I don’t have any day to day issues with it.

More people on Wayland means more bug reports and better polish overall. Users on most distros can easily switch back to x11 if they need.

1 Like

I am currently using Wayland, but I’ll let my friend know about Peek and its feature. Thank you for replying back, I would prefer that spectacle has this feature and I am patient enough for this feature to come out whenever. It is good to see that a developer is willing to comment.

Making it the default and removing it entirely are two different things. I have been using Wayland only for close to a year on my desktop (NVIDIA) and even longer on my laptop. I don’t have any day to day issues with it.

Not going to lie, but I’ve had issues using wayland on my 2080ti. Adding an AMD 6800xt GPU to my system has removed most of my problems with wayland.

Is this something that KDE’s new XWayland Video Bridge can fix?

Certainly don’t hesitate to put a feature request in for GIF output in Spectacle on bugs.kde.org (if it’s not already there). I think it’s definitely worth adding.

1 Like

I could just report it in the bug section? I didn’t know that. I’ll do it now then.

Yeah bugs.kde.org definitely isn’t the most ideal name for it considering it takes feature requests too.

1 Like

That may be but do not shove it down people’s throats when it sure as hell is not ready for prime time.

1 Like

Nobody is shoving it down anyone’s throats. It’s being made default.

Wayland is ready for the majority of users. The small group that it’s not ready for can still use x11 until Wayland suits their needs

3 Likes