Having trouble with projects and sessions in Kate Editor

Hi, sorry, this might be a really stupid question, I’m a complete noob with Kate and I’m coming over from Notepad++ after recently switching to Linux Mint as my main operating system.

I seem to be having trouble making sense of projects and sessions. Saving and loading sessions works, sort of, but it doesn’t seem to remember which folders I had open in the projects tab. This is really annoying, because I have to reopen the project folder again every time I start up a session.

I’ve been looking into saving .kateproject files because I thought doing that might solve the issue, and so I made one for my project. It’s located in the root folder of my project, contents in json syntax, with all the correct information as far as I can tell. But I don’t actually know how to use it, or load it, let alone how to get it to work the way I want it to. I still find myself having to manually open the project folder whenever I load a session.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? All I’d like to be able to do is load a session and have it load not only the files I had open and was working on, but also the project folder. How can I accomplish this? Right now, saving the session only remembers the files I had open.

Additional information: the project folder is located on an external hard drive. I’m wondering if maybe the reason it won’t remember the folder is because of this. But I would prefer to keep it on the external hard drive if possible, it makes it easier for me to move the project between multiple workstations.

I’m using Kate version 21.12.3 on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon.

Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this issue? Should I report this as a bug? Any advice would be appreciated.