How to rip CDs to FLAC or MP3 with K3B in 2023? [KDE Neon]

Title, essentially.

Currently I can only rip CDs to WAVE files.

I have tried

sudo apt install flac

Which returns that the package is already installed.

I’ve had this problem for two years or so, it used to work but then when I reinstalled the OS I’ve never been able to get it to work again. Same goes for MP3 and googling just doesn’t bring up any answers (for anything nowadays in general but also these questions in particular.)

It would be fantastic to know how to fix this, K3B is truly a fantastic piece of software for this purpose and combined with Kid3 is just such an absolute dream of control vs ease of use.

Apologies if I have overlooked something obvious.

Link to the same question on r/KDE on reddit.

Can’t say anything about K3b, but you can use Dolphin for that task - if you click on the icon of the inserted audio CD, it shows a virtual directory structure containing files of various audio formats (including flac), and you just need to copy them to your storage to rip them.

1 Like

Hmm, Dolphin can’t do that on my machine. Double-clicking does nothing and trying to open the CD in a new tab gives the error

Unable to create KIO worker. Unknown protocol 'audiocd'.

My System Information

Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.108.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.2.0-26-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-9100F CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: PC Specailist LTD
Product Name: Intel Home Office II

Edit: I can’t find in Dolphin how to see what version it is. But also I presume it would just name the tracks "01, 02, 03 etc. which wouldn’t really be suitable for my needs, as it would add a lot of time to the tagging process.

Can you try to install the kio-audiocd package?

sudo apt install kio-audiocd

If the error stays the same, you might also need to restart Dolphin or your Plasma session.

That fixed the ability for Dolphin to see the audio as files! I’m impressed that it includes the track titles as well.

It seems there is some issue with it actually copying the files however, it copies very slowly and in bursts of about 2MB with no transfer for 5 seconds between bursts.

In k3b, if you go into Settings => Plugins, you should see one called “K3b External Audio Encoder”. Make sure there’s a tick in its box to enable it, and check its configure button to see if the “Mp3 (Lame)” and “Flac” encoders are listed.

I thought the problem might be something like this, I have no such plugin.

How do I get it? I just installed K3B through Discover, I think.

I’ve been googling “K3B Plugins” to see if there is an online repository but nothing comes up.

Hmm, I think the absence of plugins is due to KDE Neon packaging. On Kubuntu the package called “libk3b7” provides “k3bexternalencoder.so”. On Neon (User Edition) that plugin is not provided by either libk3b7 or libk3b8. Maybe not intentional so worth raising a bug report.

Use Synaptic (sudo apt install synaptic) and search for “k3b”. Then look for libk3b8-extracodecs (or simply try that name in apt). Should solve your problem I think. Restart K3B, flac plugin should now be there.

4 Likes

when i do this in kubuntu i only get

k3b
k3b-data
k3b-extrathemes
k3b-i18n

all at version 21.12.3

Its there. Do you have restricted and multiverse enabled? Before I found the libs my K3B looked just like Pyroven’s above. Now it looks like this:

(edit - just ran a test rip to flac - Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Carpet Crawlers, 5:14 min - and it completed in about 46 seconds on my rig, and the resulting file is 28.8mb in size. Sounds fine to my ear.)

my plugins do not list any k3b items but i can put a cd in my player and see the folders in dolphin for all the different audio formats so i guess i don’t need to worry about this in kubuntu.

another win for kubuntu.

Not sure how missing plugins is a win for Kubuntu? :wink: I agree, what Dolphin does is pretty cool. Just kinda automatic drag and drop, and wait a few minutes. It does appear K3B is much faster.

Anyway, for Neon users, this works for K3B. I just ran a full CD test rip-to-flac and it took about 7 minutes and was nicely organized and meta tagged.

i just mean it works without the need for plugins, “batteries included” kind of thing.

for grins i copied the FLAC folder to DOWNLOADS and it took just under 7 min to transfer 500Mib…when i point Elisa at the FLAC folder it gets the album name correct, sorts the various artist into their own listing, and all the track names are correct.

i’m gonna call that good enough, but it would have been better if the folder name was based on the album name so i could just tuck it into my regular music library.

i don’t know what a k3b experience would be like because that software doesn’t seem to be available to me on kubuntu.

A good program to do this is:

Asunder

which I use on Neon and Opensuse

Its there for Kubuntu as well… both a snap and an apt. Both LTS and 23.04. This is a bone stock 23.04.

solved with

sudo apt install libk3b8-extracodecs

2 Likes

In the linked reddit thread someone mentioned abcde and I’m now in love with it.

To use it, all you have to do is open the terminal in your music folder and then type abcde. By default it rips to .ogg, but you can edit the /etc/abcde.conf to have it use any format or encoder. And the config file has all the instructions on how to edit it built-in.

1 Like