How to un-italicize desktop icon symlink text

Plasma 5 italicizes the titles of desktop icons that are symlinks, such as applications. I personally feel that this looks inconsistent and takes away from the clean, traditional appearance.

To disable this, you can run this shell command (may need to be run as root):

sed -i '/font.italic: model.isLink/d' /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderItemDelegate.qml

If you’d like to return the italicized symlinks, use this:

sed -i '386ifont.italic: model.isLink' /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderItemDelegate.qml

You will need to logout for these changes to take effect.

I’d love to see this as an option in settings and I might try to make my own KCM module with it included.

1 Like

FWIW I don’t see this being accepted upstream. I already tried a few months ago and even submitted patches for the multiple components that would need to be patched, but the work was rejected. See 461450 – Get rid of italic text for links.

Understandable. I’m going to still work on the KCM because I’d love to get into contributing some day and it’d be good practice. Thanks Nate!

1 Like

I don’t see the point of italicising it, it is obvious it is a symlink without the italics. It looks more like a solution in search of a problem, or, a “we can do this, so lets do it”

1 Like

KDE already has a large, modular settings panel. I think it’d be a nice customization option. Only gotta change one QML file

1 Like