Incorrect display of file icons (thumbnails)

Hi Community,
the thumbnails are not displayed correctly in the Dolphin file manager.

The user “michael” is in the following groups:

$ id -a michael
uid=1000(michael) gid=1000(michael) Gruppen=1000(michael),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),50(staff),100(users),113(netdev),116(lpadmin),117(scanner),125(sambashare),129(vboxusers),5001(music),5002(photo),131(kvm),998(adbusers),997(docker)

In the screenshot you can see that the file “Z” belongs to the user root and the group “photo” has write permissions (permission 660). I can also change this because the user “michael” is in the “photo” group. Unfortunately, the lock symbol for the file “Z” is then displayed in Dolphin, which is definitely wrong. This error did not occur under Plasma5 and the thumbnails were displayed correctly, i.e. without the lock symbol.

As soon as the file permissions are 660 (see screenshot), the display in Dolphin is incorrect, as the user’s group permissions are presumably not taken into account.

Is this a known error in the Dolphin file manager?

Greetings
Michael

opened bugreport #483436

1 Like

Dear Community,
Can any of you reproduce the problem in the Dolphin file manager? It’s almost impossible that nobody has noticed this problem and I’m the only one :wink:

The following initial scenario:

A directory must exist somewhere in the file system of which root is the owner and a group must exist in which I have read and write permissions.

In Dolphin, a lock symbol is displayed for the file thumbnail. This is definitely wrong because I have write access to the corresponding file or directory via the group (tested on the command line in the KDE console). However, the write permissions via the group permissions are not taken into account. This also has consequences for the context menu of Dolphin, e.g. the entry “Create new” is grayed out (i.e. not possible).

Greetings
Michael

It should be fixed in next KIO version.

1 Like

Hi @meven,
Thanks for fixing the bug. One question which deb package contains this fix?

Greetings
Michael

kio released with the KDE Frameworks (released monthly).

1 Like