Is My Win Machine Inadequate?

Hi from historic Williamsburg VA. I’m helping do little promo videos for a local radio station here. The machine they gave me: Win 10 Home, i5-3330, 8 GB RAM, Kdenlive Version 23.08.5, everything up to date.

GoPro camera MP4 files open, but wont ‘roll’ well on the timeline nor the preview window. And the timeline wont update when I move the playhead, even using proxy files. Its hard to get tasks done on this box.

I’m considering bumping up the RAM and putting in a fast SSD D: drive for media only; also maybe transcoding the camera files before importing to a more ‘digestible’ format. Am I on the right track here? Its unlikely the station is going to spring for a better box, much less move off Win10 Home. What should I be trying to speed things up? Thanks All.

Hi, did you mean to tag this post with “kdenlive”? It reads like that, but without a reference to that particular topic, it might get missed by the people you’re trying to reach.

Thx.
First time up on this forum and I’m still learning all the dance steps.

No worries! I added the tag. Welcome to the forum!

You can interact with @Konqi to start the new user tutorial. :wink:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @konqi display help.

@frdbr This one may be better for you.

1 Like

A SSD for Win10 and a 2nd SSD for the data will definitely help on your system. If the GoPro videos are 4K then you have to work with proxy.
Otherwise Kdenlive should work fine on your i5-1330, but not fast.

2 Likes

So as mentioned, SSD’s will greatly improve your quality of life not just with Kdenlive. As for your footage, use proxies and lower the preview resolution of the monitors.

Do note that the more effects you apply the longer the rendering times. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you ALL for good advice. Im just going to move it over to a different machine.

I did a maxcapacity check on the computer to see how much RAM I can put in it; it is brickwalled at 8GB. I couldn’t bump up the RAM if I wanted to. This machine is fine for office noodling, but nowhere near what I need to run KDENLIVE.

Thanks again. Time to go shopping.

lower the preview resolution of the monitors.

I just want to emphasise that lowering the resolution of the preview really makes a huge difference. For me this allows mostly fluid editing on a slow HDD even with an old slow processor.

1 Like

Just FYI, I’ve never had any issues running KDEnlive on an 8 Gig Linux machine.

Indeed, a little of topic, both my son and I do music recording, he on a windows machine, me on a Linux machine, using ubuntuStudio mostly. He is surprised that I can do all my recording with merely 8 Gig

Here are my hardware specs

Processors: 4 × Intel® Pentium® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Notebook
Product Name: W54_W94_W955TU,-T,-C
System Version: Not Applicable

So I’m guessing if the machine is deficient, it’s Windows that is the issue.

Its a mix of issues pertinent to both the hardware and OS: Windows eats up every corner of space in my RAM, and my box wont let me expand beyond 8GB. KDEnlive wants to see that much memory or greater, if I’m doing 4K vid (which I’m not yet, but probably any day now).

I used to use AVLinux at my day job before I retired and that seemed to respect the resources available in my hardware. I may just go plug it in again.

BTW, the station I work with uses Adobe Audition while I use Mixbus (Ardour) at home, so I can sympathize with you and your son swapping files back and forth to do your music. Thanks for info about your experience.

1 Like