Is there a way to switch Shift + Scroll to horizontal in Okular?

Hi,

The vast majority of programs I use will scroll horizontally instead of vertically when I hold shift and use the mouse wheel, but instead of doing that, Okular scrolls vertically with extra gusto when I hold shift. Okular currently requires me to hold alt in order to scroll horizontally. This is jarring to me. Is there a way to configure it to scroll horizontally when I hold shift?

I see that there was a discussion asking another KDE app to implement that behavior (web archive) but I don’t see any discussions on here about Okular with horizontal scrolling with the shift key.

I wrote a post about this in Dec 2022, but it got no responses. I see the forum software was switched to Discourse, so I needed to repost this. Still looking for an answer.

I have the same issue with Kate - SHIFT-scroll scrolls vertically faster instead of horizontally. It seems like a KDE thing (though I don’t have any other KDE apps that I expect to scroll horizontally, so I cannot test more apps).

For me ALT does not change the direction of the scrolling (in either Okular or Kate), it just doesn’t do anything. I would also love to get to the bottom of this.

Are you on Mac OS? I’m using Windows now, and alt definitely switches to horizontal, but I’m preeeetty sure that when I was using Kubuntu, the alt key also switched to horizontal scrolling.

Oh. No - I’m on KDE Linux. That might explain ALT not behaving for me as for you.

I was pretty sure we’re talking about Linux here, as KDE is Linux centric, but Okular (as well as Kate) are great applications that are available on other platforms, so :+1:

Interesting. What Qt version are you using? Alt+wheel being interpreted as horizontal wheel is a Qt behavior: Qt Bug Tracker

Hello,

Here’s my system info :

Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.8.8-surface-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 15,5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
Product Name: Surface Pro
System Version: 124000000000000000000000D:0B:09F:5C:09P:38S:01E:0

How do I get Okular to horizontally scroll on Shift+Wheel ?

Thanks