Just wanted to share some Kontact love

People love to complain about Kmail, Akonadai, etc. but I just wanted to take a moment to say that I use Kontact every single day and I love it. I’ve tried the new Thunderbird, but I always come back to Kontact; I get my news from Akregator, Journal is a fantastic feature (and seriously overlooked part of the caldav spec) that I use to record meeting notes and ideas, Kmail is performant and set up exactly as I like it, and the Summary view is a great overview of what’s coming up. Sure, it could be prettier, but lord is it a performant, well-integrated option that’s absolutely bursting with utility. I’d encourage every KDE user to at least try to set up Kontact / Kmail etc. properly and give it a serious go. A development interest renaissance for KDE’s PIM stuff would be an absolute dream considering how strong the offering is today. Many thanks to those who put work in on this software!

9 Likes

What are the main benefits compared to Thunderbird?

The main benefit is that everything using Akonadi is that it’s kind of an all-in-one solution in KDE. The easiest example to show is that using the Kontact suite means you can also view calendar events in the time/calendar widget in your panel. If you enable the PIM plugin for that, of course :slight_smile:

Seconding @redstrate - it integrates super well with your desktop, minimize to tray by default, support for caldav journal, I also prefer Akregator to Thunderbird’s handling of RSS feeds, and I like the local anti-spam and anti-virus plugins in Kmail. It also just seems so much more flexible - Kmail has so many options that you can tweak.

Journal support is something I dearly hope comes to Merkuro as well, if it winds up being a Kontact replacement.

1 Like

Does Kmail work with Gmail, in 2024?

I ask this since it did not work out of the box with gmail, when I tried it a few days ago. If I understand correctly, Google has blocked “less secure apps”, and Kmail is one of those. The app passwords thingy did not work as well, atleast when I tried. Whatever email protocols Kmail supports, I am pretty sure that supporting Gmail is a must, if Kmail is to become popular.

Also, does Aknonadi stress your system? When I used it a few years back, when gmail was supported, it sent the fans of my laptop spinning like crazy, for more than an hour or so. I couldn’t figure out what was the problem and had no other alternative than to completely reinstall the system. I want to give Kmail, or rather Merkuro Mail, a serious go again, but just want to make sure that I don’t get a similar traumatic experience again.

Fo Gmail integration, the email and calendar part have worked fine for me since I started using KMail a couple years ago. Contacts was broken but was fixed at some point last year.

Do you use an app password for kmail? Do you have 2 step verification turned on for gmail?

I use 2fa and the app password works fine

I haven’t personally had any of the issues you’ve described including Gmail, which seemed to work fine? But I’ve since dumped Gmail though and now run my own mail server.

Thanks. I gave Kmail a try again today, using 2fa and an app password and it works fine, atleast for now.

1 Like