Kcalk has degraded in quality

I used to love kcalc, but since it got updated in plasma 6 there is regression.

I was not even able to use my keyboard for calculations correctly, after pressing enter I could no longer keep using the result with new calculations without using copy/paste or M+ & MR. You fixed that now at least.

Other example:
I used to be able to input any Dec number and then just press Binary and it would recalculate the number into binary, cant even find a way to do that anymore. (change to Settings > Numerical System Mode)

Not sure why these regressions was put in place to begin with, but it is really bad and should be reverted or changed to a better way asap.
Conversions should be included in a calculator no?

Edit
I just realized, I can not even rightclick and use copy to get it into my clipboard any more.
The menu is there, but nothing gets copied.

I noticed this too.

It is, in effect, a completely new application.

One that has maybe 40% of the features of the old one.

I hope people are working to make it reach feature parity with the old one soon.

If any KDE peeps are here, can they say why a not-yet-feature-parity application is shipped instead of a known working one? I don’t expect the old one was exactly using a lot of frameworks :wink:

Oh, so it’s a completely new application?

THEN I’m ok with it, kinda. Would be better to keep the old one until the new one is up to par though. But I do appreciate a new application might come with some bugs.

My main problem with the new one is that if you type something, the ‘answer’ line never gets updated until you hit the equals sign.

You can type 2*2+1 and at no point does the answer line update.

Related; in the old one you could hit =, then see the result and then type +1 or something similar. And it would use the calculated result as input.
Making it work great as a simple calculator.

These two together makes it really hard to use effectively.

I think they changed that in the last update though, because initially I also included in this post that each time after doing calculations and pressing enter and then a new number (expecting to keep calculating from the results) it started from scratch instead.

I just tested that out and that DOES work now.
The same as putting in 10 + 10 now actually shows 20 in the result window BEFORE pressing enter.
Update you system and retry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It shows the recalculated value under the ‘oct’ or ‘dec’ etc row when you hit ‘=’.

No, it returns “Input error” because when you press = or enter while in binary mode, it is expecting binary.

I am talking about inputting any decimal number, like 1234 then pressing binary, and it should convert itself into binary.

You can mouse over the “Bin”, but only if you actually calculated something, but you have no way of getting that number into the calculator or clipboard.

Since the introduction of the editing zone, I installed KCalc and started to daily use it for small operations instead of Qalculate!.

It’s normal to encounter bugs when things are moving fast, and for me, some well maintained KDE apps are really getting better.

2 Likes

This update is unusable. Had to move to Kalk which is missing a lot of things I liked in Kcalc.