KDE application settings

how i can exsport and import my KDE applications config?
for example, theme, shortcut ecc of KDE plasma or dolphyn, eccc
thank

Virtually all settings/configurations in Linux are stored in . files/directories in your /home/username directory used on login to the machine.

zeus@9600k:~$ ls -l .
./                         .lesshst
../                        .local/
.aspell.en.prepl           .MakeMKV/
.aspell.en.pws             .mc/
.avidemux6/                .mediainfo-gui
.bash_aliases              .mozilla/
.bash_functions            .pki/
.bash_history              .profile
.bash_logout               .putty/
.bashrc                    .rtorrent.rc
.bashrc.orig               .rtorrent-session/
.cache/                    .sabnzbd/
.config/                   .selected_editor
.dhexrc                    .ssh/
.directory                 .sudo_as_admin_successful
.face                      .themes/
.face.icon                 .thunderbird/
.fonts/                    .var/
.fonts.conf                .vim/
.gkrellm2/                 .vimrc
.gnupg/                    .Xauthority
.gtkrc-2.0                 .xbindkeys_config/
.icons/                    .xbindkeysrc
.irssi/                    .xsession-errors
.kde/                      

Above you see all such files/directories in my /home/zeus directory as displayed by the ls -l command with a couple of TAB key hits after typing the . character to use the bash completion feature that will show you your options for the next character to type to get a completion match for the single . I had typed when using it. The .config directory is a standard place for configurations to be stored and the .kde has files for it in there. I always just copy all those . files/directories to a new install if being made as you loose none of the history of your user account by doing so. Now that has to be done without it in use if you want to avoid problems with things like web browsers saying that are in active use when they are not. You can get around that by excluding certain files in those as I do with my live system backup/cloning script I have put together to do just that and have a workable booting backup/clone on the drive chosen.

Edit: Now I think more about it a good way to copy them files not in use is by logging out of the desktop and use the CTRL + ALT + F? keys at the same time to get to a console. You replace the ? with 1 to 6 I think is the upper limit on them. I always use the F3 for some strange reason. There you can log in to you normal user account and copy the . files/directories to a backup location of your choice using the command line.

Edit2: And the CTRL + ALT + F7 gets you back to the graphic login screen I think. Not sure as I always just use the sudo pkill X to kill off then respawn the X server which gets you to the login screen by doing it.

settings are saved all over the place in your ~ directory so the easiest thing to do is put /home on a separate partition and back up that partition.

suggerivo di aggiungere una nuova funzionalità, (la possibilità di esportare ed importare le impostazioni delle personlizzazioni di KDE plasma, i temi e le impostazioni di Kwantum, ecc…) very thank!

You are welcome, hopefully they take your suggestion and allow people the opportunity to save then restore their settings.

Benvenuto, si spera che accettino il tuo suggerimento e concedano alle persone l’opportunità di salvare e ripristinare le proprie impostazioni.

kde plasma and KDE applications save their settings in ~/.config. ( $XDG_CONFIG_HOME)

Some things are stored in ~/.local as well, so I do what @skyfishgoo said. I backup my ~/ folder and I can do a fresh install and restore the ~/ folder. Once you do this, you will be stunned at how easy it is. Just exclude the .cache folder. It will save you a lot of time and space on your backup.

.local may cause some issues. It contains transient data, baloo database, recent file history, screen configuration, trash, places bookmarks, emails downloaded…

This might not be what a user would expect to restore. It should be copied if you want to reinstall on the same device, but not if you want to have a fresh start on a new system or share with someone else.

1 Like