KDE disappeared audio devices

Basic information:
Nixos 23.05
Plasma 5.27.7
The device is a laptop with speakers and a headphone jack. An external display that has speakers is connected with a HDMI cable.

I had issues with a game not being able to output any sounds. I went in to KDE settings and started trying all different kinds of combinations with audio output devices. When I set my laptop’s internal audio output device to “Stereo input” (I think), it disappeared completely. It is not in the input devices. My HDMI output also disappeared.

Running the following brought back my HDMI output which works but it has a different name now: “pulseaudio -k”
Game for some reason is only able to output audio on this laptop’s headphone jack.

The menu’s are very different everywhere as well.

In game sound device settings choices (Dota 2):
-Default device (doesn’t work. KDE has only HDMI output.)
-HD-Audio Generic, [namehere] Analog (this one is the only one that works and is the headphone jack)
-HDA NVidia, HDMI 3
-HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
-HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
-HDA NVidia, HDMI 0

Choices in plasma audio menu:
-HDMI / DisplayPort - Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output (this works fine but the menu is completely missing HD-audio Generic)

Choices in alsamixer command line utility:
-HDA NVidia
-HD-Audio Generic

There seems to be some kind of disconnect somewhere. The game is looking at hardware and somehow finding extra HDA’s, none of which work.
Plasma seems to have found some kind of HDA Nvidia card but is completely missing HD-audio Generics.
Alsamixer finds the correct devices.

Things that I have tried:
-Rebooting pc
-Disconnecting and connecting headphones
-Removing ~/.config/pulse and running pulseaudio -k (this brought back the HDMI output)

My guess would be that I have flagged my output device as an input device in the KDE menu but that device is nowhere to be found in input devices and is now stuck in some kind of limbo. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you for all the help in advance.


Same problem here:


My audio output has gone as well, all of a sudden. It used to work fine for years, now something happened.

We will need to report this as a bug, but maybe before we do that, we can gather some more user reports here.

Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.2.0-34-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 23,4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 20L8S02D00
System Version: ThinkPad T480s
1 Like

Same problem here.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 6.2.0-37-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Try upgrading pipewire to 0.3.85 or latest 1.0.0, some HDMI bugs were fixed in latest versions.

Same problem + I’ll open new post for this. Someone please fix this I get my foods with sound it is my business :frowning:

  Host: safak13 Kernel: 6.2.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.27.10 Distro: KDE neon 22.04 5.27
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 82R4
    v: IdeaPad 1 15ALC7 serial: PF4KH4DE
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: NO DPK
    serial: PF4KH4DE UEFI: LENOVO v: JTCN42WW date: 01/10/2023
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio
    driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor driver: N/A
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.2.0-39-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes

this is third time I reboot my pc. I just broke everything in my room. Tried kmix, pulseaudio, pipewire. NOTHING worked. NOTHING. Literally NOTHING. It’s really enough. I getting error with my every move. MY EVERY MOVE. Even while using my BT mouse, BT broke. I was using my sound card, all of sound system broke. Whenever i trying to install anything in console, i get error. No exceptions. Every single install i got errors. A lot of. I did not sleep and used to solve them. A lot of people I worked with. I solved them by myself. Found a way. But that is really enough I driving crazy

Same thing here, although I’m just starting with Linux so Ive been trying on virtual machines. I thought the issue would be related but apparently its not. Every audio device i try doesn’t work.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 6.5.0-21-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 9.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: llvmpipe

Kind of an old thread but since no one posted a solution here it goes:
Same thing happened to me when I changed my Playback Device profile from “Analog Stereo Duplex” to "Analog Stereo Output ".
I fixed the problem by changing the Recording Device profile to “Analog Stereo Duplex” since there was no Playback device, after that the Playback Device reappeared.


Thanks about a 1,000 times. This solved the issue for me.