KDE For Activists

We have a new “KDE For”-page :slight_smile:

Free Software activists give people control over technology and help defend their digital rights. We have created means that have allowed us to become organized and connected, bypassing utilities controlled by unethical corporations.

KDE presents “For Activists”: you to can leverage the tools to effectively organize rallies, privately communicate with fellow community members, and safely manage your own grassroots movement.

For activists, by activists.

Also, you can now find all the KDE For pages at KDE for You - KDE Community

10 Likes

I really like the “KDE For” pages, but are they not a little bit to much hidden? I don’t see a link from kde.org to kde.org/for

Maybe there?

2 Likes

Agree fixed with Add to menubar (b0d2f5bb) · Commits · Websites / KDE.org Website · GitLab

should be up on the website in 2-3min

3 Likes

At the bottom of the page there is a link to the Tor project. There is also the I2P project, a self-contained “Internet” based on Perr to Peer. For those who do not have the freedom to be an activist guaranteed by the respective state, two valuable applications in terms of freedom of expression.

Why is there a load of causes that have nothing to do with technology at the top of the page?

1 Like

Because it’s a page about how activists–who frequently care about things beyond technology–can use KDE software.

5 Likes

Did you not see how badly received this virtue signalling nonsense was received when GNOME started doing it? Better stick to making good software and not get involved in politically profiling users.

3 Likes

Maybe remember you’re representing before being sarcastic to users.

1 Like

I’m curious how advertising how KDE can be used relates to profiling users.

1 Like

Assuming you are commenting in good faith, I’d also be interested to know what you mean by (a) virtue signalling and (b) how that applies here.

To anticipate the discussion: Just because something is good for X {people, society, environment, etc.}, it does not mean it is virtue signalling to point out that it is good for X.

1 Like

The top photo has a number of various political viewpoints being displayed at a protest rally. Having those front and centre of the web page can be seen as a tacit endorsement of those views. If you add the context of the page where whoever is typing is showing a further aligned bias. Picking Edward Snowdon as an example using something which isn’t even a KDE specific thing. Talking about mercurial billionaire and over inflated egos, might as well have just said Elon Musk and saved the inferences.

All of this together is projecting a very narrow viewpoint of what a KDE users activist views could be. It’s very different from the other “for” pages which are just concentrating on the technical capabilities of the software.

1 Like

It applies when it is irrelevant. Mentioning the power usage of KDE applications makes sense. Showing pictures of hand written banners and talking about Edward Snowdon using e-mail encryption does not.

Nowadays, pretty much any political stance is polarising. If you have an opinion about anything, there are people who will hate you. We live in very strange times.

While people who write software will inevitably have political views that users of the software will find objectionable (and vice-versa), keep in mind that good software (and by that I mean Free Software) itself is politically neutral in the sense that it empowers you, regardless of who you are and what you are advocating for, and who agrees or disagrees with you, you will benefit from things like encrypted communication, or having access to the source code of the software you are running.

2 Likes

Pointless comments get pointless replies. Anyhow, enough troll feeding for today.

4 Likes

You may wish to respond by disagreeing. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

Name-calling
Ad hominem attacks
Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide thoughtful insights that improve the conversation.

That’s from your own guidelines. I hope you and the two other KDE Developers that liked your post will respect that in future.

1 Like

I think the photo is distracting from the main point. For example, Ecosia did the job well. No talking about “justice”, “should I be worry?” or politics in general. Ecolocaust, really? Instead of it, the message is simple, if you like what we’re doing, come with us.

From the other point of view, do you like/prefer to be welcomed by yelling people, or photo like on Ecosia website?

Second thing. Why Tokodon and Mastodon is promoted in aggressive manner?

Tokodon is a client for Mastodon, a social network
that is not for sale and not controlled by mercurial billionaires with
over-inflated egos.

Why not something like, Mastodon is a social network created by users for the users, or something like that?

I’ll end here because I’m a bit disappointed and triggered. I should rather ask why Ardour is not mentioned. Brilliant DAW for music, podcasts, work with audio in general and if I don’t misunderstand, it can handle gigs live as tool for sound engineer.

Are those related to KDE and activism though?

2 Likes

My bad, I was on KDE for Creators page at the same time :sweat_smile:

Edit:
Anyway, question is still valid, but there is no topic about KDE for Creators. I’m not sure if it is worth now to create the topic for this one question, so maybe someone just note that there was a question about Ardour.

1 Like