KDE Plasma completely freezes in fullscreen except cursor

(Translated with Google Translator)
Hello!

Plasma freezes randomly, when I play CS:GO/Minecraft/Terraria in fullscreen. It freezes on Garuda, Manjaro, MX Linux and Endeavour (current distro), but doesn’t on the same distributions with Xfce/Gnome. I had one case of freeze even when watching the series in the browser.

I download the NVIDIA drivers using nvidia-inst -q -p or manually from their website, then enable hybrid mode using optimus-manager or envycontrol and just launch the game. Freeze occurs even if I afk in the initial menu. At the same time, I can move the cursor and hear sounds. Freeze is fixed with Alt+SysRq+R + Ctrl+Alt+F2 and back, but it’s super inconvenient.

Freeze 13:33:59 logs:

• journalctl -n -1: pastes
  • cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log: pastes
  • sudo dmesg: I don’t know how to read previous boot’s dmesg, but it spammed “ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmaware. (20221020/exsystem-141)”

Specs:

Operating System: EndeavourOS 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.2.9-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 15,5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 630 (and gtx 1050 ti)
Manufacturer: Acer
Product Name: Nitro AN515-51
System Version: V1.22

Help me, please!

Reply, because newbies url in message limit

• cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old: pastes
  • /var/log/Xorg.0.log, when I switch tty and screen unfreezes: pastes

This is a weird issue :frowning: Nvidea is a pain as always and there are many reports similar on the internet

This is generally unrelated and is for the energy management (e.g. going to sleep)

1 Like

I found a similar problem:

I also have Present-flip spam, but did not notice it, because it turned off logging by itself due to spam.
But why it happens only on kde? I seem to have prime-sync enabled on xfce, and kernel version was the same. I didn’t have this bug a few years ago on an older kernel, but I doubt it was older than 5.11 when async flipping came along.

I have a similar problem, it sometime freeze and only mouse cursor is moving.
But, as we are 2 users on my computer, I can see it’s still possible to switch to my GF session and here everything is fine: no freeze on her session

The only way I found to fix the problem when it occurs is to go to her session to open Konsole or to open a terminal session CTRLALTF2, and kill process started with my user:
/usr/bin/kwin_x11 --replace

Then I can switch back to my session and everything is fine.

Also, I have a NVidia GC with proprietary driver installed.

Operating System: KDE neon 5.26
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.102.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-58-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Memory: 62,7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NV136

(I know, need to upgrade system to last 5.27 KDE Neon)

Grum999

Some guy came up with weird solution, but it would be nice to figure out why this only happens with plasma and how to fix it for everyone without any additional scripts and investigations.

I remembered I had version 5.14/5.15 Manjaro KDE Plasma, and there was no similar problem.

@carl Please say you have an idea

Maybe somewhere I can find some patch or fork of KDE Plasma where this problem is solved? Or is the only way out is to change the processor to a newer one?

If there is no way out, can you at least advise a super similar alternative so that the transition is not painful?

I have this issue as well, I think it is a problem with the Wayland version of KDE, I switched from an Nvidia GPU to an AMD and I still this get issue, if the session locks and then I go full screen on a video on a browser for example, the image freezes and I can’t do anything not even ctl + alt f2 does anything.
EDIT: found this reported and it was closed 432545 – KDE desktop freezes after auto lock, will try to reproduce and follow up

I am getting this after the freeze. The freeze lasts for about 7 seconds and then it goes back to normal, i saw these last messages in dmesg output.

Hi guys i know this thread is old but i have same problem i don’t play games but my system sometimes freeze for a second in plasma 6.0.1 when i open some apps for example vscode or firefox on arch with intel intergated gpu and latest vesion of nvidia proprietary driver

my system spec
intel hd 520
nvidia 940mx
ssd evo 970 plus