KDE Plasma Desktop Icons Disappear After System Update

I’m experiencing an issue with my KDE Plasma desktop icons disappearing after a recent system update, and I’m seeking assistance to resolve it.

Background: I’ve been using KDE Plasma as my primary desktop environment for some time now, and I’ve customized my desktop layout with various icons for quick access to applications and files. However, after performing a system update using the package manager, I noticed that all my desktop icons disappeared, leaving only the wallpaper visible.

Issue: The problem seems to be specific to the desktop icons, as the rest of the Plasma environment and its features are functioning normally. I’ve checked the desktop settings, and the option to display desktop icons is still enabled. However, no icons are visible, and I’m unable to interact with them.

Troubleshooting: Here are the steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot the issue so far:

1. Restarted the system to see if the issue resolves itself.
  2. Verified that the desktop icon settings in the KDE Plasma system settings are configured correctly.
  3. Checked for any relevant error messages in the system logs or console output.
  4. Tried creating a new user account to see if the issue persists with a fresh user profile.

Observations: Despite these efforts, the desktop icons remain missing, and I’m unable to restore them to their previous state. It’s possible that the system update caused some compatibility issues with the desktop icon management in KDE Plasma, but I’m unsure how to proceed in resolving it.

Request for Assistance: If anyone has encountered a similar issue with KDE Plasma desktop icons disappearing after a system update or has suggestions for troubleshooting steps or workarounds, I would greatly appreciate your insights. Having easy access to my desktop icons is essential for my productivity, and I’m eager to find a solution to this problem. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your help and support!

Hi Joe, I encountered same issue. My taskbar icons disappear when I hover the cursor over them. In reality they don’t disappear, but they all move to the extreme left of the monitor, overlapping. I noticed that when I reload the “Plasma Style” settings they return to their place, only to then disappear as before.

EDIT: I note virtual desktop also is broken. Is the same for you?

I have it like this, I attached a video from the link on the forum
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485771