KDENLIVE crashing since last system update

I have been using KDENLIVE for a while now. Tried other editors, but always came back. For about a week, since last update, I cannot start it at all. I am running Fedora Linux.
This is the trace when I start it from terminal:

profilePath from appDir/…/share: “/usr/share/mlt-7/profiles”
meltPath from KdenliveSetting::rendererPath: “”
meltPath from profilePath/…/…/…/bin: “/usr/bin/melt-7”
Empty metadata for “audiochannels”
Empty metadata for “audioconvert”
Empty metadata for “imageconvert”
Empty metadata for “glsl.manager”
Empty metadata for “telecide”
QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
qrc:/qml/timeline.qml:497: ReferenceError: proxy is not defined
qrc:/qml/timeline.qml:478: ReferenceError: proxy is not defined
QGradient::setColorAt: Color position must be specified in the range 0 to 1

Anyone has any ideas?

Quick update: I am running version 23.04.0. I tried downgrading to version 22.12.3 and I can start the application and load the projects, but there are other issues because these were created with later versions. This must be a bug in the latest version.

In my case kdenlive ask me after 2nd crash if I want to reset everything - i did and now it works Version 23.04.0a and *.1

Tried re-setting. It just tries to start another session and does not work. I don’t feel like rebuilding the whole workstation for this. I have other stuff on there. I also upgraded to latest Fedora version, just in case. No change there.

I tested 22.12.3 on my laptop and it also works fine there. I will not be upgrading that installation. This must be a new version bug. It makes it totally unusable.

Yep, 23.04 was/is riddled with bugs and regressions, unfortuntely. Introducing the much requested
nested timeline proved to be much more complex than though, I reckon. The devs are frantically working on that, have released a first fix (23.04.1) but are not quite there yet.

Please also note that there are quite a few reports out there that updates to Ubuntu and Fedora made perfectly fine Kdenlive installations unusable. So it is not always Kdenlive’s fault …

I think the problem is the access of the current user to resources that causes the issues. I tried running the latest version with “sudo kdenlive” - hence giving the application access to root resources and it actually works fine. I was able to open projects and edit and play them without a problem

1 Like

Anyone has any news on this issue? It is definitely a permissions problem, because when I change user id to 0 or use sudo to start KDENLIVE it works just fine. I do not want to run anything as root.

You may be on to something. Please log a bug report in bugs.kde.org so that the devs can look into this.

I ran into the same issue with the flatpak version on Fedora 38. I solved it by deleting my (probably stale) cache from ~/.var/app/org.kde.kdenlive/cache/.

I did not have time to screw around with this. I reinstalled OS and it was solved.