Kup backup doesn't work on smb share

Hi guys, what am I doing wrong? I have my smb share mounted via fstab and entered that path to Kup. However the backup icon in the system tray allways says “backup destination unavailable”.

1 Like

So I tested backing up on a USB drive and that doesn’t work either. It just does nothing.

You have not given anyone enough information to help you. Can you post your /etc/fstab contents? Also a copy and paste of the results of lsblk -o path,label,uuid,fstype

Sorry.

PATH LABEL UUID FSTYPE
/dev/loop0
/dev/loop1
/dev/loop2
/dev/loop3
/dev/loop4
/dev/nvme0n1
/dev/nvme0n1p1 376D-5221 vfat
/dev/nvme0n1p2 d30fe5b9-f843-4492-92b5-a9a3b5e77dd3 ext4
/dev/nvme0n1p3 4ff03ad4-fb64-4f47-9a95-a1d56063d4fb swap

I added this line to fstab:
//192.168.178.41/nas/home /media/nas cifs username=knipsi,password=[password] 0 0

mounting works just fine on startup.
I’m on debian 12 stable

One thing I did when I was mounting a share from another PC with cifs, was add some mount options and put the username and password in a file.

All on one line.

//heisenberg/4TB-HDD /4TB-HDD cifs _netdev,credentials=/home/wilson/Documents/credentials.txt,uid=1000,gid=475,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

The uid=1000 is the user
The gid=475 is the cifs group. If you do not have it, you have to create the Cifs group and add yourself to it. Then you use whatever number the group has.

I don’t use Cifs shares anymore, so I don’t have a copy of the credentials.txt to show you, but you should be able to source that easy enough.

Does what you have now show up in Dolphin and is it browsable?

I just looked it up on Discover and I see that someone says it doesn’t support SMB shares. I don’t know if that can be worked around.

1 Like

Good to know thank you. But it should work on a USB though right? I’ll try reinstalling it

Yes, it should work on USB.