Meta + PgUp does not work on Slimbook Pro X

This is an odd one.

Problem

I really like to use the keyboard to move windows around and am happy that nowadays Plasma/KWin has some nice keybindings for it.

Unfortunately one of them – maximise window – does not work on my machine and it baffles me.

What works as expected, using default shortcuts:

• Meta + Left
  • Meta + Right
  • Meta + Up
  • Meta + Down
  • Meta + PgDn (on this keyboard this is Meta + Fn + Down)

What does not work:

• Meta + PgUp (on this keyboard this is Meta + Fn + Up)

And, yes Fn + Up does work as PgUp fine otherwise in KDE Gear.

What surprised me too is when I try it in xev it reports Fn+Up as Next and Fn+Down as Previous. Then again, that is also how they are labelled in the Keyboard previews in KCM :person_shrugging:

System info

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.11
Kernel Version: 6.5.7-zen1-1-zen (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 30.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: SLIMBOOK
Product Name: PROX-AMD5

i have a keyboard that will accept firmware changes via windows software and when i was using windows i reprogramed some FN keys to specific things so the codes then sent in xev were not the bog standard codes linux would expect, and they were ignored.

once i went back to windows and reflashed the firmware of my keyboard to reset those keys to the default, then the keys went back to working normally in linux

perhaps you have something similar going on, but in your case linux can still read the codes… they are just not the codes you expect.

1 Like

You can search by key combination in the shortcut settings search field. Do you get any results when searching for “Next”?

Does the PgUp key work with other modifier keys, e.g. Shift?

Just tried it on two external keyboards – a weird one (Keyboard.io Model 01) and a standard one (Matias Mini Ergo Pro). These are the results of the respective PgUp and PgDown keys or key combos needed to trigger it:

Slimbook’s built-in:

• Fn+Up – xev says: keycode 112 (keysym 0xff55, Prior) – shortcut with Meta does not work, shortcut with Shift works
  • Fn+Down – xev says: 117 (keysym 0xff56, Next) – shortcut with Meta works, shortcut with Shift works

I tried this using both Neo2 layout and Slovenian layout in Plasma. Same results.

Keyboard.io Model 01:

• AltGr+x ⇒ xev says: keycode 24 (keysym 0xff55, Prior) – shortcut with Meta does not work, shortcut with Shift works
  • AltGr+w+ ⇒ xev says: keycode 28 (keysym 0xff56, Next) – shortcut with Meta does not work, shortcut with Shift works

AltGr is reported as keycode 108 (keysym 0xfe13, ISO_Level5_Lock). I am using custom firmware on this keyboard and Neo2 as the layout in Plasma. There is no way to trigger PgUp/PgDown on this firmware with a non-Neo2 layout.

Matias Mini Quiet Pro:

• PgUp – xev says: keycode 112 (keysym 0xff55, Prior) – shortcut with Meta works, shortcut with Shift works
  • PgDown – xev says: keycode 117 (keysym 0xff56, Next) – shortcut with Meta works, shortcut with Shift works

I tried using both Neo2 layout and Slovenian layout in Plasma. Same results.

What is really weird is that the keycode 112+Meta works fine on Matias, but not on Slimbook.

No. I do get results for “PgUp” and “PgDown” – namely Meta+PgUp and Meta+PgDown.

Interestingly enough, if I try to this assign Meta+PgUp or Meta+PgDown there from any of the keyboards above, it recognises it as such and complains this shortcut is already assigned. The only difference is that it does not recognise Meta+PgUp on Slimbook’s keyboard. (It does recognise Shift+PgUp though.)