More Fun Update screen(animated)

I have idea how to make better experience while installing update but lets not type all into one sentence for a mess you would like to get your eyes off but instead lets split to few sections and type facts/notes in brackets so you can understand better and the extra i put at the end of this Feature Request.

**How it looks now? ** There is black screen with white progress Bar.

How to improve it? Use rest of screen space(you may also add more colors)

Ideas:
Idea 1: The progress bar takes whole screen width text having different color. To explain better lets keep the text black(transparent) and the progress bar white(you can use or let choose different ,schemes, of colors but lets use these to explain the idea more efficiently). Height of the bar from top to bottom of screen ad goes from left to right of screen.

Here are versions of implementations to choose from:

a) ProgressBar when starts at 0, draw 50 pixels to right from left( so user knows t does something and its not black screen), and type text that says ,Updating,(for example) horizontally tilted 90 degrees or vertically from top to bottom

b) Same as ,a, but the text is in center and starts white and is eventually blackened by progressBar

c) Choose ,a, or ,b, and type percentage of progress somewhere

Idea 2: Some fun animation to look at while waiting(if update is quick, animation should be shorter, and if update is long than use longer animation and i recommend to allow to view the animations also outside of update)

Here is inspiration for such animation(cant post links directly so i explain):

a) Take a look at Wii to Wii U transfer animation on youtube from KoopaKungFu

b) inspirationfeed dot com slash loading slash (dot= . slash =/)

Idea 3 A minigame while waiting for update, i think of dino clone while typing this message. Theme of 3rd idea is something interactible, a simple endless game, which gets harder and gives more points when update is more about to finish.

So these are my ideas for more fun update screen. Hope you understood well while it was detailed enough. You sure can get creative from then on and may receive some feedback from not just me. I am continuing to learn KDevelop while making KDE version of game I do or edit Wii, Web version of game. Bye. Just in case, contact me on E-mail, i am on K-Discuss first time and may not be as active at start but i do check mail.

YOu forgot to mention your details - and context is very important here.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.3
Kernel Version: 6.8.4-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 15.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Product Name: B550M Steel Legend

I prefer to run my updates in terminal, but can use Pamac GUI, and get all the information I want… but no progress bar.

I don’t use Discover because it’s not Arch friendly, and doesn’t give update details… but when I do, it just shows ‘installing’ bars next to things that need updating (only themes/plasma stuff in Discover).

2 Likes

Same here. I use Debian on this laptop and Fedora on my other 2.
I sometimes use discover, but I prefer to open a new terminal tab, run apt get update / dnf upgrade, switch to another virtual desktop and do whatever needs doing. Likewise, I may check the terminal later and issue a systemctl reboot if needed.

I also doubt if it would be practical as a full upgrade takes mere minutes. The occasions when the firmware is updated it take a bit more, but you can’t do much while your machine is flashing the CMOS anyway.

Note that this update screen I’m pretty sure is provided by your distribution and not KDE.

2 Likes

Ok. Makes sense coz then it asks to select os. I have Kubuntu btw. Well , these ideas sure can be used somewhere else. I thought it was you because i remember that you added *effect(which i describe later) whicu wasnt there since specific update(might be alsominldistro, not sure yet)

*effect description - when idle, screen turn black green(more dark green) and after input, antransprent oval removes the black green and shows KDE Plasma(login screen or desktop)