Native integration of Rclone (Easy integration of cloud storage into KDE Dolphin etc...)

The cloud has now become an important part in business and private life and with it access to cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, HiDrive, PCloud…

Unfortunately, there are currently only very cumbersome options for Linux. For example, there is no official Microsoft client for OneDrive. Instead, you have to rely on a CLI solution for which there is a separate GUI. This is no easy task, especially for Linux beginners.

Rclone is a very good solution that supports all important cloud storage. But even here there is no up-to-date and easy-to-use GUI.

Hence my suggestion: Native integration of Rclone into KDE with an easy to use interface + integration into Dolphin etc…

In my view, this would be a unique selling point for KDE and would greatly improve the user experience.

What do you think?

1 Like

This could be a nice to have feature for sure.

However it should be kept in mind that rclone does not replace the common features of a cloud sync client, like keeping a local directory in bi-directional sync with the remote service.

I haven’t tested it yet, but there is a bisync feature:

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_bisync/

1 Like