Network folder makes me run into fail2ban

when opening my “network folder” I can see (ss -t -a) lots of connections beeing established without clicking a single folder inside. This makes me run into fail2ban on server … rendering the “network folder” useless. This behavior started with update to plasma6. Who to blame (open a ticket) dolphin or kio?

This isn’t very new.

This I think would be kio-extras that provides smb:/. It does network discovery to detect smb compatible devices on your network, what one would expect for a remote:/ protocol.

Hello meven,

thx for your answer … maybe I was not clear enough with my description of the problem… its not about samba ( discovery ). I only got (sub)-folders with SFTP protocol in my “network folder”. I don’t see why I would need a connection to all configured (subfolders) when just opening the “network folder”.

The Connections (SFTP) going to a remote server … not the local network.

If still not clear I might try to create some screenshots

If you have the size column shown, dolphin will count the numbers of files and folders in all subdirectories. You can hide the column if you want.

Ok I try again: I am talking about the kde special folder “remote” … for me it looks like this:

I got ~ 60 subfolders in here all configured like this : “sftp://agundur@server:222”

If I just open the special folder “remote” without opening any subfolders – and having size column disabled – I can see a spike of network-connections to all the configured servers:

tss -t -a | grep ftp
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:36018    xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:36096    xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:54988      xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:36044    xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:55068      xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:36094    xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftp  
TIME-WAIT 0      0      192.168.178.21:55044      xx.xx.xxx.xx:ftpype or paste code here

who to blame to make this connections ? Kio or dolphin. The remote servers just block me because of the many connections in short time.

I got ~ 60 subfolders in here all configured like this : “sftp://agundur@server:222”

That explains things.

who to blame to make this connections ? Kio or dolphin. The remote servers just block me because of the many connections in short time.

That would be kio that provides remote:/.

But that seems like a normal use-case. remote:/ job is to discover what you have on your network. You have an “extreme” case where all many folders point to the same server.
What would you expect remote:/ to do in your case ? List only ten folders or instead of querying in parallel have a queue per-server of requests ?

In the meantime I suggest you not to use remote:/ Network, you can hide it from your places panel.

And feel free to report a bug.

thx for pointing me directions … and now I go here:
(sry can’t post links yet)

“invent. kde. org” → frameworks/kio/-/issues"

and open a ticket ? Would this be the right place ?

Imagin a webserver with one ftp account per client … all on the same physical server …very common

Establish a connection when a subfolder (ftp account) is clicked and only then connect … why would I want a connection to 59 more ftp accounts I am not using right now. BTW this was how it used to work before plasma 6 update.