Network widget in task manager freezes on turning off WiFi, freezing/blocking Plasma

I have used Kde neon user edition with KDE Plasma 6 now I’m using Kubuntu 23.10 with KDE Plasma, and I still facing an issue, which is when I try to turn off WiFi or enable Airplane Mode, leads a freezing the desktop, while I can continue using an app in the background. anyone else notice this issue? or Im the only one who suffers?

Operating System: Kubuntu 23.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.5.0-26-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 7,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Latitude E7450

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with the following configuration (see below). The only solution I found when the system freezes is a hard restart with
sudo sh -c “echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger”

On the same computer (external SSD), I don’t have this problem with Fedora KDE Plasma (version 6).

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 6.5.0-26-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
Memory: 15.1 Gio of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 630
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product name: Latitude 5580

1 Like

(phew) I thought It was related with my hardware, so If that problem does not happen with Fedora KDE. We can say that issue isn’t related with KDE Plasma the desktop, but It may related with distribution base itself ! The KDE developers and support teams should know and notice this issue as soon as possible (especially KDE Neon).

Try if upgrading KDE Plasma/Frameworks/Gear in Kubuntu 23.10 with the official Kubuntu Backports PPA helps, see e.g.:
KDE Plasma 5.27.10 available in Kubuntu Backports

Also see Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings​​​​​​​

The same goes for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS (Kubuntu Backports and Backports Extra PPAs are available there), see e.g.:
KDE Plasma 5.27.10 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra

1 Like

Hi, I have done upgrade Kubuntu 23.10 with the official Back-ports, but It didn’t solve the issue, I have noticed also, by disabling the WiFi, after the freeze/block of plasma, I can’t open any app except Konsole and It can’t execute any command.

I have tried KDE Plasma with Fedora 40 Beta, it worked fine (disable/enable WiFi or Airplane Mode)

Thanks for the information. I’m afraid we’ll have to wait until a Kubuntu upgrade to Plasma 6. Debians have also been known for some issues with the wifi and Intel processors, which is maybe why Fedora (based on Red Hat, not a debian) does not have the problem.

You’re right, Plasma freezes completely on my computer as well when I disable the wifi, but you can still execute the hard restart with the command line.

Before disabling the wifi, you must however log in as a root (sudo su). Then, when you disable the wifi and get back to the Konsole, you can still execute

sh -c “echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger” for restarting the system or
sh -c “echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger” for a hard shutdown

(which is just the same of course as pushing on the start button)

I can still expect the same issue even with Plasma 6 + Kubuntu as KDE Neon (at this moment which it still has the same issue + battery profile do not exist).

The weird thing is this issue is only happens with Kubuntu and KDE Neon (Debians) while all other distros with different desktop environments haven’t got that freeze problem

There have been actually some reports of similar behaviours in Fedora GNOME, so possibly this is a kernel-related issue.

I think it is rather a Kubuntu issue. With the same kernel and the same Ubuntu version (22.04 LTS), my Ubuntu computer (Dell) accepts the instruction
sufo wifi off, while this instruction freezes my Kubuntu computer (also a Dell);
the Kubuntu distro also freezes when clicking on the plasma airplane mode.

The bug seems to come from the interaction between the plasma-nm widget and the Ubuntu Network Manager. If this is the case, it is a complex bug, that will probably need an upgrade.

The issue seems to have been solved by the latest Kubuntu system updates.

1 Like