No network connections on startup

For the last 4 years I have been using different Linux distros with something in common: the laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5000 series and the desktop environment, KDE Plasma.

During all this time I have always experienced the same problem when using Plasma as my de: a network connections icon with a red x on boot from time to time. The only way to solve this was to restart the laptop. I’m writing this post because this was a tolerable problem until very recently (it occurred 1 out of 9 times on average).

It happens that this problem has worsened for the last 2 or 3 weeks now: let’s say that from every 2/3 boots I got one with no network connections available, and even after 2 or 3 restarts in a row I still got no network connections. What I have tried so far is to disable/enable/restart the network service but it doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure the problem has to do with Plasma because when using a different desktop environment, regardless of the distro, this problem with the network connections never ever has happened.

If someone has an idea on how to solve this issue or at least what logs or information I need to look at to understand what’s happening, I’ll be very grateful.