[Okular] Autoscroll with the middle mouse button

An option to have autoscroll like in Firefox (when it is enabled). Click with the middle mouse button anywhere on the document, a symbol like this is displayed:

Move the mouse up or down, and the screen starts scrolling. The farther the mouse pointer is from the symbol, the faster the autoscroll: from really slow (a few pixels per second) to blazing fast (dozens of pages per second). Click again anywhere (either with middle or left button) to stop autoscrolling.

If instead of clicking with the middle mouse button, the user clicks and drags up or down, the same thing happens, only autoscroll is stopped when the middle mouse button is released.

It is flawlessly implemented in Firefox, including Firefox’s built-in PDF viewer, which is otherwise inferior to Okular in every way (in my opinion), apart from having his feature.

I would like this feature to be an option in the settings, disabled by default, so that current behaviour of middle click (zoom) is not affected for users who prefer it this way.

8 Likes

This sounds like a good feature! Please post it on bugs.kde.org so it can be tracked and hopefully added!

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? In my experience, middle click is always used for pasting from the secondary clipboard.

From my understanding, middle-click to paste is standard on Linux while middle-click to scroll is more of a Windows thing.

Indeed; I’m just confused about the zoom part. I’ve never seen middle click to zoom.

Yeah that is weird, middle-click does not zoom for me in Okular and I don’t see an option to do so (nor does any of the tools enable you to middle-click to zoom).

Strange… I open a PDF file in Okular. I click and drag up or down with the middle mouse button and the page zooms in or out.

In fact, the mouse cursor briefly changes to this:
…which is additionally confusing, since it does not scroll up or down, just zooms in or out. Then it changes back to:

Need to simultaneously hold the middle mouse button and then move mouse forward/backward to zoom in/out.
A single middle click doesn’t really do anything.

I think it’s possible to have a solution of single click middle button to activate scroll, and holding button + move mouse to zoom.

That is how it is currently, and there are people who like it that way, so I think it should remain the default behaviour.

All I’m asking is for an option that the user can toggle to change that behaviour, so that it is pretty much identical to how it is in Firefox (when autoscroll option is enabled). Maybe an option in the settings, or a button in the main toolbar.

Autoscroll is currently possible in Okular, but it leaves much to be desired. It is turned on only with the keyboard ( ⇧ Shift + or ), which in my opinion, is not very good accessibility, and the top speed is very, very slow. With the mouse, it could be just as slow, but also blazing fast, up to hundred of pages per second.

+1 for middle click to scroll

The zoom thing is not standard behavior for text based applications today in modern times. The current zoom with middle click will confuse new users in my opinion. Please change it or make it an option to scroll with middle click.

1 Like

+1 for middle click to scroll.
This problem was first raised in 2009. Someone even made a patch for this but maintainer refused to merge it.
bugs[dot]kde[dot]org/show_bug.cgi?id=219121
Please add it.

1 Like

Personally, and this is my hot take, if I’m going to copy and paste I’ll just use the shortcuts, whereas I feel like the multi-axis scroll thing on windows is a so much more useful feature for the middle button. I scroll far more often than I paste personally, so being able to scroll horizontally across all apps, let alone okular, would be a godsend