Plasma 6 (Wayland) is laggy on my laptop running on 6th gen i5

I’m not sure if this is normal, but it seems that Plasma 6 (Wayland) feels overall slow on my laptop with Intel i5-6200U.

Operating System: KDE neon Unstable Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.90.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.246.0
Qt Version: 6.6.0
Kernel Version: 6.2.0-37-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Inspiron 5559

I only got this laptop recently from a friend so I have yet to test on X11 session. The only other time I’ve spent using Plasma was on a RTX 3060 Ti in a VM so it didn’t feel as slow.

Is that normal? And I’m curious to know from which iGPU does it start to feel noticeably better?

Created bug report 477959.

I know my CPU here is a fair bit beefier, but I have an identical system with a low wattage i5-6500T that I was using until yesterday (selling it). I did not notice any differences between the two using Plasma 6. However, my 1080p monitors were set to 4K 30 hz, and scaled to 175% on my dual monitor setup, on both systems. The scaling thng is very odd. And very very laggy. This could be from using Displayport to-HDMI adapters, or at least it is my guess. Once I checked and set the displays to 1080/120hz or 75hz and the scale to 0, things stopped being so laggy. Some animations seemed a bit…choppy or ever so slightly stuttering, but that seems to have improved a lot since the last day or two’s updates.

Overall, I find things fine in terms of normal desktop graphics, even compared to my main PC’s RX6650 XT and 13th gen i5. I have yet to try it on my old laptop from 2014 with its i3-4030u with even more meager graphics.

My graphics are fairly similar to yours, so it may be worth checking out if there are some oddities with your screen settings. Also see if you can, set the shared graphics memory in your BIOS to a higher level - both of mine were set to 32Mb or some terribly low value. Based on what your specs show this might be the case, maybe?

Operating System: KDE neon Unstable Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.90.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.246.0
Qt Version: 6.6.0
Kernel Version: 6.2.0-37-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 14.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 530
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 65W
1 Like

Hmm, I checked and it’s stuck at 64MB

Hmm, I have never had to tweak the display settings or its fractional scaling yet so I haven’t looked at that direction.

I discovered that the issue is tied to the fact that either my charger or the DC jack doesn’t talk with the laptop. Tied to the fact that the BIOS seems to think there doesn’t have enough power, which I just dismissed.

Replacing both of them fixed it

1 Like

I have the same problem on Lenovo with Nvidia graphics on KDE 6. The Wayland session is considerably laggy even for moving the mouse. The X11 session works as expected.

I had a similar issue and I found out that it only happens when I connect my laptop (Dell Precision 7520, Nvidia GPU disabled) to my old ViewSonic monitor which doesn’t have HDMI port so I use an HDMI-DVI adapter