Plasmashell uses a lot of GPU memory

Hi, got a problem similar to what’s reported on another thread, except my issue is rather with Plasmashell, which sits at ~1300 MiB GPU memory use idle (not RAM; on that end it sits at 800MiB use, which is odd but still acceptable) for no apparent reason. Screenshot of nvtop for evidence:

I read in another thread on Arch Linux forums that could be due to some plasmoids which were known to leak memory, but the result remained the same after removing them all and rebooting
Worth noting too that it’s not exactly my only problem: as you can see on the screenshot GPU processing use tends to spike randomly, reaching sometimes as high as 33% while not doing much
Another odd behavior I noticed is that sometimes plasmashell’s memory use drops significantly only to rise again, without any effect on rendering. This can happen randomly, but doing some operations in edit mode (just putting some plasmoids, then removing them), then leaving triggers it everytime

Before I file a bug about this, is this something known? Is there anything I can do about it?

Operating System: Linux Mint 21.2
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-105-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Linux Mint + KDE = :no_entry_sign: . Use another distro that officially offers, properly supports and maintains KDE. Just because it is forgotten in the Ubuntu repos doesn’t mean it’s usable. Also I think 5.24.7 is not supported anymore.

It doesn’t make much of a difference - almost sure I had a similar behavior back when I was on Ubuntu. Issue is still worth taking a look at, and beside that I do not have much problems

Your remark on the fact version 5.24.7 is no longer supported at least got me curious on whether a more recent version could be installed (though not official)

I just installed 5.27.11 through the kubuntu-backports-extra repository, and it seems the leak is solved. Will test for a few more days and close the thread if it happens to be just a matter of outdated version

1 Like