Preview config in Dolphin

I noticed that on Plasma 6, my png images 400x400 don’t have miniatures in Dolphin. I know there is some config to change that but all these years, there have been no GUI access to that. Because for Plasma 6 update I had to delete my old Plasma configs, I get some default. In this case, it doesn’t work for me.

I create some small miniatures 400x400 to have good site performance (no need to have higher res), and it’s confusing for me, if I don’t have miniature preview on the file. I guess for most people default upper and lower limits make sense, but not for everyone or every case.

I’d wish that KDE/Plasma config structure was not such a mess. It’s no fun to hunt for certain feature that is GUIless. I hope someone remembers or can find the proper config quicker than me.
Thanks

There is a setting for the upper file size limit for which thumbnails are generated. This is available in the Dolphin settings and unlimited by default. There is no config for a lower limit for file size or resolution.

Most likely you issue has nothing to do with settings and generating thumbnails fails for another reason. Possible because of 484183 – No thumbnails for images with more than 32 bits per pixel, but it’s hard to tell without seeing an affected file

No problem. Here is one of the files that won’t show up miniatures.

ORO-GU10-D35-1,8W-WW

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.2
Kernel Version: 6.8.1-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

Thanks. For this image it is in fact caused by 484183 – No thumbnails for images with more than 32 bits per pixel

2 Likes

So something is off on my side :frowning:
Like I said, I deleted configs and let Plasma 6 generate defaults that I customized a bit later.

Ah, thanks @nicolasfella . Although, @medin does have a miniature. I have the same system.

@michaldybczak @nicolasfella

I verified again, it seems if you put that image inside Desktop folder, the preview will succeed below 144px zoom, but will fail for any zoom value greater or equal than that.

And if you put that image in a folder different from Desktop, the preview will always fail no matter what zoom you apply.

1 Like

Thanks @medin . I guess, I have to wait till the update will fix it. The bug is resolved, so it’s a matter of time.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.2
Kernel Version: 6.8.1-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics

Same freaky goodness here…

I just did mkcd New Folder and dragged a copy in there - can zoom any size and the thumnail works (subfolder on desktop).