Streamlink-Twitch-GUI does not launch under Plasma (on KDE neon)

Streamlink itself has been installed earlier with sudo apt install streamlink.

This has worked so far on all systems but now it’s a no go. Wayland is in use.

Terminal output:

./streamlink-twitch-gui
Opening in existing browser session.
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[20507:20507:0317/190849.788681:ERROR:gl_angle_util_vulkan.cc(189)] Failed to retrieve vkGetInstanceProcAddr
[20507:20507:0317/190849.788719:ERROR:vulkan_instance.cc(91)] Failed to get vkGetInstanceProcAddr pointer from ANGLE.

You apparently are already running Streamlink Twitch GUI. The application can only be run once. If the previous process hasn’t terminated correctly for some strange reason, then you have to kill the old remnant process first. It’s also possible that you simply didn’t notice it running and only being shown in the system tray for example.

Btw, the application is working fine on Wayland. The current version is still limited to XWayland unless you set the --ozone-platform=wayland launch parameter (NW.js/Chromium stuff), but that shouldn’t be an issue.

None of this has anything to do with Plasma though, so I don’t know why you’re asking here instead of the project’s support channels (in case there was indeed an issue with the application). I just found this thread via Google, which is the reason why I’m responding here as the developer of Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI.

And btw, Streamlink Twitch GUI is just a launcher for Streamlink and has nothing to do with any streamlink packages. If Streamlink is not installed on your system, then Streamlink Twitch GUI will tell you if you try to launch a stream. Talking about the streamlink package on Ubuntu-based distros: using it is actively discouraged, because it’s always heavily outdated, regardless of the release version of your distro, which is the reason why Streamlink’s documentation doesn’t include anything Ubuntu related anymore since a couple of years. Use one of the other install methods. This shouldn’t be an issue for users of these distros, because Streamlink Twitch GUI isn’t packaged there anyway.

1 Like

The solution was to install libatomic:

sudo apt install libatomic1

Then streamlink-twitch-gui (as extracted from streamlink-twitch-gui-v2.4.1-linux64.tar.gz) executable can be launched successfully through Konsole (right click on the executable and choose “Run in Konsole”).

Ps. the installation of this libatomic package is not required on Ubuntu and other Ubuntu-based systems to run for example Streamlink-Twitch-GUI. Has it been left out on purpose or unnoticed i don’t know. Seems important though.

KDE neon.

Now there is another problem: while starting any stream it’s informed that the installed streamlink version from the repositories is too old!

"Error: Invalid streamlink version

The version v3.1.1 doesn’t match the min. requirements (v6.0.0)."

Now what? i was trying from the Streamlink’s page on the Debian stable section:

If you don’t have Debian backports already (see link below):

echo “deb Index of /debian bookworm-backports main” | sudo tee “/etc/apt/sources.list.d/streamlink.list”

sudo apt update
sudo apt -t bookworm-backports install streamlink

but to no avail:

sudo apt -t bookworm-backports install streamlink
Reading package lists… Done
E: The value ‘bookworm-backports’ is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

(i was hoping to get a newer version through this).

Dude, the actual developer answered you.

Let me spell it out for you, change distribution if you are a gamer and you want to do stuff like this. Ubuntu LTS (or KDE Neon in this case) is not the distro for that.
Is it doable on Ubuntu? Most likely
Is it a pain in the a**? Yes

As with anything nowdays with software getting updated lightning fast. If you want the latest stuff, it will depend on flashy new packages, and Ubuntu does not provide that. And when you start messing around with adding additional repositories, you might as well just move to a rolling release distro.

Gaming on linux is the s**t, I fkn love that I can finally move away from windows, but it demands a bit more of the user if you want the absolute max out of your system.

Never forget Malevelon Creek soldier

Got into a dependency hell with files from Ubuntu’s launchpad even with Gdebi installed.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/streamlink/6.0.1-1/+build/26493940

tux@Plasma:~/Downloads$ gdebi streamlink_6.0.1-1_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-streamlink (= 6.0.1-1)

tux@Plasma:~/Downloads$ gdebi python3-streamlink_6.0.1-1_all.deb
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-trio-websocket

tux@Plasma:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install python-trio-websocket
[sudo] password for tux: 
E: Unable to locate package python-trio-websocket

I guess i’ll try the AppImage next :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I repeat, my democracy loving soldier:

You can try, but for your own sanity, at least look up a few youtubes about gaming distros on linux and take an extra moment to think about it.
If you already are doing stuff like you are, you can most likely find a distro where you will feel right at home.

I might even argue you should try a few different before getting settled.