Two FRs: Default Render Options & Default Metadata

Hullo all. I’m having a lot of fun learning Kdenlive. Hands down the best video editor I’ve tried to date, and it seems to be in great hands.

Couple of feature suggestions/requests (forgive me if these features already exist, or are already on the roadmap):

1. Default rendering options.
    There are certain rendering options that I find myself frequently forgetting to check/change, and that I seem to be opting for in nearly all my projects. It would save me time and emotional bandwidth to be able to define those things once for all new projects.

2. Default project metadata
    Similarly, it would be really nice to be able to include certain metadata (with values filled in or not depending on the metadata) for all projects, as I fail to use them consistently more often than I like (and sometimes forget to add them entirely until after I’ve rendered everything). Would also save time/hassle.

These are relatively minor, I know.

Hi, and welcome to the forum and community. GLHF

What Default rendering options do you have in mind? Same for the Default project metadata. Some examples would be very helpful to see what you mean, help suggest alternatives, or make a FR from to be logged at bugs.kde.org.

You’re right, broad “give me all the options” requests are not super helpful/appealing. (For some reason, before submitting the post I pulled out the examples I’d written; sorry about that.)

Metadata: Artist, Author and Copyright for sure (at this point my kdenlive projects are all my own work and mostly have the same copyright year). (There could be others but I’ll hold off on mentioning them until I know more.)

Rendering: “Export metadata” is an option I have been checking for all project rendering so that would be a priority for me personally. Certain options like “Custom quality” and “Open folder after export” might also make sense from my POV as I’ve been using them a lot, but to be honest I’m not 100% sure yet if I will continue to use them as much as I have.

Let me know if you need more info or clarification, etc.

Also curious to know how all this lands with others who’ve been using Kdenlive longer than I have. Hopefully we’ll see some other perspectives/opinions.

In general it would be nice if the render dialog got a bit better at preserving the state it was last left in for a project. For its size that’s been mentioned before. I occasionally see it glitch out and change the directory between renders even though it preserved the output file name.

FWIW, for me, I only toggle export metadata on for the final render of a project, I leave it off for intermediate and test renders. It’s a nice way to tag a render as being ‘the final one’, but also for viewer apps that replace the filename with the title metadata if present it makes the intermediate render fragments stay distinguishable rather than all have the same name.

Since I use the title metadata field, having defaults for that is less of an itch, because if I forget to set that, not forgetting the other fields is a but moot.

One thing some people do if they have lots of “preconfiguration” that is the same for each project, is create a skeleton project that has all your bin folders and metadata and other options set as you like, then copy that into place as a seed for each new project. But I mostly found that was more of an effort than just quickly having a checklist of Things To Do at the start of each new project, since the latter means you actually get to review whether each of these things are right for that project instead of changing your problem to forgetting to unset them on the less common (and so less practiced!) occasions when they aren’t appropriate.

If you’re still in the learning phase, I’d be a little hesitant to lock down too many habits faster than “muscle memory” makes them unconscious best practice for you - what you forget and what you remember and what you do slightly differently each time are all parts of polishing your skill as you learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meta data: This can be achieved by a project template. Open a new project. Go to → project → project settings → tab Metadata → enter all data you need and create new metadata as needed with the +. Save this project as template. When you start a new project just load the template first and you have the metadata.

In rendering enable Export metadata.

Rendering: You can create any presets as you like in the render window by click on create new preset.

1 Like

FWIW, for me, I only toggle export metadata on for the final render of a project, I leave it off for intermediate and test renders.

That sounds like a great habit to develop for sure and I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ll be doing going forward. In the scenario that led to me posting the above here, I was pulling clips out of footage and saving them into smaller, very simple projects that for the most part were “final” in that sense, and the final rendering for each clip was exactly the same. (I have no idea if that’s best practice or if that will be my strategy in the future, but it felt like good workflow to me at the time. We’ll see how things go.)

One thing some people do if they have lots of “preconfiguration” that is the same for each project, is create a skeleton project that has all your bin folders and metadata and other options set as you like, then copy that into place as a seed for each new project.

Yes, this is something I was looking into for a little while but didn’t quite master and am currently using the checklist strat. :smiley:

If you’re still in the learning phase, I’d be a little hesitant to lock down too many habits faster than “muscle memory” makes them unconscious best practice for you - what you forget and what you remember and what you do slightly differently each time are all parts of polishing your skill as you learn

Great point! Totally agree. Thanks for the insightful comments, really appreciated. This community seems to be every bit as as awesome as the product. :smiley:

Meta data: This can be achieved by a project template. Open a new project. Go to → project → project settings → tab Metadata → enter all data you need and create new metadata as needed with the +. Save this project as template.

Whoah, I was just looking for this feature last night! Except that I was looking in all the wrong places (for some sort of button or something where I could save off metadata that was entered). Will give this a whirl soon, thanks!

Also thanks for the presets info, have messed with that a little but haven’t quite digested the feature yet. Will keep at it.

The official Kdenlive Manual has a wealth of information, includes a glossary, and is searchable!

Oh, I’m all about that manual, really well written/organized. Trouble is, my brain wiring has some presets that create resistance to RTFMing in general. (Except in certain situations such as running into a frustrating wall or trying to figure out what a feature or process is called).

I was pulling clips out of footage and saving them into smaller, very simple projects that for the most part were “final” in that sense, and the final rendering for each clip was exactly the same.

You could also do something like that with sequences instead of spawning multiple projects for a given set of raw footage. That keeps it all in one project, with a common set of render options and metadata, but you can render each sequence separately.

I actually have the opposite wish for that use case, to make it possible to have ‘per sequence’ metadata instead of just globally for the project.

I would also be possible to do it recent versions with a single main sequence and the guide export and guide multi-export options.

This does sound a lot better and would be my preference. I think I went with the other approach because I only learned about sequences after I’d already started creating clip projects. I am very tempted to switch now, except that I’d rather not change up the metadata every time I render a clip. I suppose that’s what everyone else does? Maybe it’s not as much of a pain as I was figuring.

I actually have the opposite wish for that use case, to make it possible to have ‘per sequence’ metadata instead of just globally for the project.

I think this comment aligns with what I’m talking about, right? I’d love that feature. I wonder if it’s been formally proposed.

I would also be possible to do it recent versions with a single main sequence and the guide export and guide multi-export options.

This bit I don’t quite understand yet. Would you mind rephrasing?

I actually have the opposite wish, to make it possible to have ‘per sequence’ metadata instead of just globally for the project.

I think this comment aligns with what I’m talking about, right? I’d love that feature. I wonder if it’s been formally proposed.

Unless I’m missing something, the current behaviour in this case is exactly what you are asking for (the same metadata is used for each sequence when rendering), while I’m wanting the opposite to be possible (different titles for each sequence when rendered).

Right now to get what I want, I need to change the project-wide metadata before rendering each sequence, and what I used for previously rendered sequences is then lost and no longer recorded in the project file.

It would also be possible to do it with a single main sequence and the guide export and guide multi-export options.

This bit I don’t quite understand yet. Would you mind rephrasing?

See Rendering — Kdenlive Manual 24.05 documentation
and (on the same page) Rendering — Kdenlive Manual 24.05 documentation

1 Like

Yeah, having to update the project’s metadata each time we render off sequences doesn’t feel ideal. Also, it sounds like what I’m looking for actually overlaps with your vision. In my case, common properties for a few metadata values (author, copyright, and a few other things) and then diverging clip or sequence-related values (such as title and description).

Other things come to mind as well, such as titles, effects, guides and markers but I don’t have clarity on what I would want there yet as I’m still learning my way around KDL.

Thanks for this! I hadn’t read much of that section yet and initially the name didn’t ring a bell. It sounds pretty close to perfect on paper, actually, but in practice I am finding zones to be obtuse, and difficult to set up and use, so far. Could just be a learning curve thing, though, so I’ll keep at it.