Wallpaper Competition Announcement

Yeah that is totally fine

1 Like

about courier charges ? what if the winner live in very faraway country ?

though “if” its me and the fees is too expensive i will donate the prize back to KDE :slight_smile:

So many great entries have been submitted. I know only one can be the new Default, but many should be included in the Wallpapers folder. There is a lot of talent hanging around these parts. :grinning:

1 Like

I noticed that there are very few photo submissions — it’s not against the rules right?

Personally, I find that distros that ship with wallpapers of stunning natural scenic landscapes the most attractive.

1 Like

I’m a landscapes guy too, but I can see how hampered they would be in this competition. They don’t work in the horizontal and vertical.

@SomeOrdinaryDude Go for it. We have several already that are done in Blender and GIMP. That is not AI. Show us your stuff. :grinning:

I have also made mines in Blender and Krita. Sources and High res are on my GitHub

1 Like

Is anime themed wallpaper accepted?

1 Like

Sure. There is nothing in the rules against the style. Let’s see it.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

can i use pd0 images as material for making cc-by-sa wallpaper ?
also mixing cc-by-sa 3.0 material in cc-by-sa 4.0 ?

What is a pd0 image?

1 Like

sorry, by pd0 i mean public domain images. im not very knowledgeable about various licensing so im asking just to be safe side.

I think Public Domain and CC0 images would be fine, right @niccolove ?

i changed my mind to use fully original artwork.

but the answer still might be useful for other artist.

It would be good to know. I’ve used an HDRI image for scene lighting in some of the renders I’m considering to submit.

The HDRIs come from https://polyhaven.com/ which are CC0 licensed (polyheaven license page) .

One thing that stands out to me is:

Once the creator or a subsequent owner of a work applies CC0 to a work, the work is no longer his or hers in any meaningful sense under copyright law. Anyone can then use the work in any way and for any purpose, including commercial purposes […] Think of CC0 as the “no rights reserved” option. CC0 is a useful tool for clarifying that you do not claim copyright in a work anywhere in the world.

If this is not OK I will have to either rework or discard the renders using HDRIs.

Nicco will say for sure but I’m 99% sure that this is fine. KDE’s requirements usually aren’t "100% of everything in the file is required to have been made by you’.

1 Like

If this is not OK I will have to either rework or discard the renders using HDRIs.

I believe it is 100% Ok. Your final work will be made by you, technically only you will have a copyright over it, which is what we want, so you can grant then KDE the usage of your work while being sure not to infringe on anybodies copyright and be new.

The polyhaven license there is quite clear and quite awesome IMO.

Your work is quite nice I must say.

I believe it is 100% Ok. Your final work will be made by you, technically only you will have a copyright over it, which is what we want, so you can grant then KDE the usage of your work while being sure not to infringe on anybodies copyright and be new.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Your work is quite nice I must say.

Thanks. Really appreciate that.

Hello! Have the six finalists been already chosen?

4 Likes