Wallpaper Submission: Mount Caustics, Translucent Mirage, Trails

Hello everyone!
These are my 3 submissions for the KDE Plasma 6 wallpaper competition.

I wanted to achieve a clean and modern look by having a uncluttered design with a clear foreground-background distinction. I also wanted the design to be more inclusive, so the “Trails” and “Translucent Mirage” wallpapers are available in 10 color variants based on KDE Plasma accent colors, as well as 5 color pallets from the popular Linux distributions, listed under KDE’s website.

All the wallpapers are available in dark/light and vertical/horizontal variants.

All the design were made using Blender and Krita(for making masks) and are released under CC BY-SA 4.0. The .blend files are available if needed.

Download:

Full size images can be downloaded from: GitHub - notgixo/Plasma6Wallpapers: My submissions for the KDE Plasma 6 wallpaper competition.

Available sizes:
Horizontal 5120x X 2880px
Vertical 2160px X 4560px

Previews:

Images below are just previews, please refer to the Github repo above to see non-compressed versions.

Mount Caustics

Translucent Mirage

Trails

38 Likes

All of these are beautiful.

1 Like

These are delightful. I love the Trails ones in particular.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m thrilled that you like them. :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m loving the Trails one as well (also they are all very nice!). Good luck to you.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. :smile:

Trails backgrounds look great! As a suggestion, perhaps consider talking a look at the default accent colours in Plasma as references for variants. Although, it does already seem like the Trails variants do cover all of those at least.

1 Like

Thanks! I am using those exact accent colors from Plasma, but as the wallpapers are 3d renders and I was trying to achieve my design using a glass material with translucency and light scattering, the colors won’t be rendered exactly as they are. I also tried to get closer results to those colors in renders, but made the “Trails” to look a bit dull.
I’m gonna do some color correcting to see if I get any good results.

For brighter background colours, maybe try to use black as a base foreground colour instead of white/grey? Essentially, invert the base colour of the waves.

1 Like

I did, but as the lines are using glass-like material, they didn’t look as good. But I’ll definitely give it some more tries to see if I can achieve better results.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. :smile:

Hmm, could maybe try having a dark-tinted glass material?

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. :smile:

1 Like

These are all AWESOME. Blurry, rounded edges, abstract, not too flashy.

1 Like

They are incredible! Really beautiful! I really liked the Suse Dark variant.

Do you imagine how good looking would be Plasma 6 if they ship with them by default, out of the box?

The only downsize is that it doesn’t looks good on ultra wide resolutions.

Good luck for you.

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind words and your feedback, I really appreciate it. :smile:
I did notice the problem for the wide screens after I uploaded them. I want to try to fix them as well as try new colors for the Trails, but it might take some time as I’m a bit occupied with other stuff at the moment.

Trails and Translucent Mirage are fantastic and (imo) would leave it as is :slight_smile:
Mount Caustics also looks great, but the purple and blue gradient isn’t as soft as the other two wallpapers. Could you try to do another variant with a smoother transition? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback. :smile:
I’m going to give it a try to see how it turns out.

1 Like

things are clearly developing! love the mounts

1 Like

So, I made some modifications to my “Trails” and “Mount Caustics” submissions. They can be found under “Revision 2” folder by this link:

I hope everyone enjoy them as I did making them. Hopefully I get to upload the modified versions of “Translucent Mirage” submission soon.

Here are the previews:

Mount Caustics:

Trails:

1 Like

Some screenshot to demonstrate how they look on the desktop:

Trails:

Mount Caustics:

2 Likes