WARNING /!\ No more backups with plasma 6

Warning for those who upgraded to plasma 6, kup backups are disabled.
And it seems it cannot benn re-enabled with qt6 :

aegir@aegir-system:~$ sudo apt-file update && apt-file find kcm_kup
Réception de :1 file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool jammy InRelease
Ign :1 file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool jammy InRelease
Réception de :2 file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool jammy Release [3 949 B]
Réception de :2 file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool jammy Release [3 949 B]
Atteint :3 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Réception de :4 Index of /user jammy InRelease [189 kB]
Atteint :6 Steam for Linux - launcher stable InRelease
Atteint :7 Index of /mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Atteint :8 https://download.cudo.org/repo/apt stable InRelease
Atteint :9 Index of /ubuntu jammy InRelease
Réception de :10 Index of /ubuntu jammy-security InRelease [110 kB]
Réception de :11 Index of /ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease [119 kB]
Réception de :12 Index of /ubuntu jammy-security amd64 Contents (deb) [85,2 MB]
Réception de :13 Index of /ubuntu jammy-updates i386 Contents (deb) [41,2 MB]
Réception de :14 Index of /ubuntu jammy-updates amd64 Contents (deb) [88,7 MB]
Réception de :15 Index of /ubuntu jammy-security i386 Contents (deb) [39,1 MB]
255 Mo réceptionnés en 25s (10,1 Mo/s)
Lecture des listes de paquets… Fait
Construction de l’arbre des dépendances… Fait
Lecture des informations d’état… Fait
Tous les paquets sont à jour.
W: file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/dists/jammy/Release.gpg: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
kup-backup: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kcm_kup.so
kup-backup: /usr/share/kservices5/kcm_kup.desktop

2 Likes

They shouldn’t be disabled, or rather all four of my plans still ram as scheduled after I upgraded. I just can’t access the settings for them, etc, or easily access the browser tool.

However, the program packaging does need to be rebuilt to use Plasma 6 libraries. That hasn’t happened for User yet, but is there in the Experimental repo, so hopefully we can get it soon.

They are disabled here. The file bupindex is timestamped 27/02/2024 22:37 so no backup have been launched since 2 days.

Since this night update, backups are running again (but still cannot be configured in kcmshell).

Since I updated to Plasma 6, the entry for the backups in the taskbar is gone. There also isn’t any “Backup” section in the settings, searching for it also doesn’t reveal anything.
I checked with pkcon which shows that I have these packages installed:

Installiert     kup-backup-0.9.1-1+22.04+jammy+release+build4.amd64 (auto:user_jammy-jammy-main)        backup tool for KDE's Plasma desktop
Installiert     kup-backup-0.9.1-1+22.04+jammy+release+build4.amd64 (auto:user_jammy-jammy-main)        backup tool for KDE's Plasma desktop

Is there anything I’m missing here? Or is it just a bug that the backups are “gone” now?

You didn’t miss anything.

You can access your old backups by launching “kup-filedigger”

If new backups are not running anymore, I advice install Cronopete ( Cronopete ) which is lightweight and efficient.
My kup backups are running again since last update/fix.

1 Like

Okay, I hope it will get fixed soon.
Thank’s for your help!

@Herve_Lefebvre Have you reported this bug to the developers?

1 Like

No because there is no bug.

There is just no plasma6 kcm_kup, so you cannot configure/reconfigure kup backups.

Before the fix, my backups wasn’t running (but for @claydoh they were still running ). But since friday fix, they are running again.

BTW with plasma 5, I suspect that when I switch i18n from french to EN, backups were not running anymore until I switched back to french. But I didn’t check enough to make a bug report.

If there is something missing that should normally be there, I consider this a bug. And even if it isn’t if we properly report this to the developers, the chance of it getting fixed (sooner) increases. I will open a bug report.

I wonder if the miissing “kcm_kup” as you say, is a packaging issue. What distro are you on? (from your logs I suspect Kubuntu or Neon?)

2 Likes

It is missing a kf6/Plasma 6 build that would provide a System Settings 6 configurations module. Not sure if this means waiting for Kup to have a new official release supporting it, or neon pulling from git and building a package from that.

And having said that, I spy updated kf6 packages dated from today for it in neon’s experimental repo, so a working version may be on its way soon.

1 Like

This needs someone to finish the Qt6 port for kup. See 482015 – Kup system tray icon and settings module missing on Plasma 6

3 Likes

As I’ve not coded anything since KDE 1&2 I won’t do it :smiley:

Furthermore, I tried to search over the net some infos about kup configuration files but I didn’t find anything (I even do not know where they are saved on my computer).

I probably didn’t search well, but if there were at least a clean doc about that, myself or some other could at least quickly hack a PyQT script to configure kup.

So are there any news about the reintegration of Kup in Plasma 6?

I didnt’t see anything.

I think the developer(s) needs to get it to the point that they can make a new official release. Things are being worked on:

It works great for me, built from current git pulls.

1 Like

How does one compile and install it to work with plasma6? I tried using the QT version flag in neon developer system and it didn´t work. There is no kcm settings section for backup and the plasmoid is empty once placed

I build it on User. Developer’s Plasma etc may be too “ahead” if you will, maybe?

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release -DQT_MAJOR_VERSION=6 ..

What errors do you see, exactly? There are some extra dependencies for this from the ones in the list on the readme, but I can’t recall what they are. The errors should help with that.

Like @Herve_Lefebvre I can see backups being taken according to a schedule defined before the Plasma 5 to Plasma 6 upgrade. But I cannot figure out where this schedule is stored. Does any one of you have an idea?

BTW, my backup plan configured with KDE 5 is still running with KDE 6.

BUT it seems that, with both KDE 5 or 6, according to what I saw, I think that ANY modification of locales (i.e. changing my KDE-UI from french to english) disable backup plan. Switching again from english tio french enable it again.

But : No way to configure backups with KDE 6, and IMHO this is a major flaw.

Regards,