Wayland: No physical middle and right-click on touchpad

Testing Wayland on Kubuntu 23.10 (dev) on a Macbook, the middle and right touchpad clicks act as normal left click. The settings to do the actions with 2 or 3 fingers work, but actual physical pressing in the middle and to the right of the lower touchpad is unexpectedly the same as pressing to the left, while in X11 I have the expected results.

Is this normal?

Doesnt look normal to me.

Do you know if you are using libinput on x11?

I guess so:

xinput --list-props 10
Device 'Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad':
        Device Enabled (177):   1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (179): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        libinput Rotation Angle (289):  0.000000
        libinput Rotation Angle Default (290):  0.000000
        libinput Send Events Modes Available (291):     1, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (292):        0, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (293):        0, 0
        Device Node (294):      "/dev/input/event7"
        Device Product ID (295):        1452, 657

When you use a MacBook, the Libinput input driver automatically switches into “Clickfinger” mode, which means that to right-click you need to put two fingers on the pad then press down with either of them, or with your thumb. This is the way right-clicking works on macOS. To middle-click, put three fingers on the pad and press with any of them or your thumb.

It’s configurable, though. Find the Touchpad page in System Settings and set “Right-Clicking: Press bottom-right corner” to activate the alternate mode where you right-click by pressing. This switches into “Areas” mode, which is what you were used to on X11.

The reason why this is different for you on X11 vs Wayland is because the settings are stored differently on each for technical reasons. So what’s happening is that your X11-specific setting isn’t being honored on Wayland, so it falls back to the internal default settings of the Libinput driver itself, which is the Clickfinger mode since you have a MacBook.

3 Likes

Great! The setting for right-click also enables the middle click.

(I don’t really have a reason to use Wayland on this macbook, but I’ll remember this for the future.)

Sorry to resurrect an old(-ish) thread, but this is the exact problem I am having on a new installation of KDE v5 (latest) on Rocky Linux 9 (latest), except that on my version there is no “Right-click” option.

I found this image on another site, and I believe this is what I’m looking for, but, as I said, I don’t have the Right-click options on my version of KDE. The rest of the options are the same, just no Right-click…
kde_trackpad_options

So I need to ask: Is there some other way of selecting this option, or a CLI way of setting it, or has this setting been moved elsewhere, or something else?

Please, this is important, as I have a physical issue with using trackpad gestures and so need to be able to turn off “tap to click” and “2-finger tap to right-click” and rely solely on the “deep click” physical actions on the corners of a trackpad.

For the record: I’ve been administrating linux servers (non-GUI) for over a decade now, but have only just recently got fed up enough with Windows 11 that I’m making the switch to KDE, which I chose because it was touted as the most configurable linux desktop (perfect for my needs). This means that I’m not afraid to dig into a system as root, but this is the first time I’ve had to deal with linux as a non-server (ie with a GUI). Its all going great; I’ve found linux versions or replacements for all the windows software I’m familial with, and the leaning curve is not steep at all - I’m just constantly tapping, etc, when I don’t mean too, and its driving me up the wall - not enough to make me change back to windows, but it’s getting close.

So, please, anyone, take pity on an old Windows laptop user and help me to get this figured out - thanks in advance

Cheers

Dulux-oz