Weird F7 issues

I’m not sure what is going on, but I think there is something that kde is doing to my F7 key. I used the same keyboard with non-kde environments, but never encountered these issues, hence my suspicion of KDE, but I could be off base.

Regularly, Konsole will require two presses of F7 to pass one F7 to the process (byobu usually). I never had this issue with gnome-terminal. Once I’ve pressed it once, it’s a sticky state and it will only require one press of F7 for the next few hours to day, but after about a day or so it will then require that extra F7 press.

When browsing in Firefox or Chromium, I will be pressing [CTRL] or [SPACE] and that will trigger a carrot browsing dialog: “Pressing F7 turns Caret Browsing on or off. This feature places a moveable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the keyboard. Do you want to turn Caret Browsing on?”
If I happen to hold down CTRL or Space, it will rapidly toggle the dialog on and off. This seems to happen very irregularly. It will often happen 3-5 times in the span of 20 minutes, then not again for a few days. Once I release Space or CTRL it doesn’t trigger it anymore.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with F7 and KDE?

Having no idea why you want to press F7, it’s impossible to know what’s the issue.

For Firefox, it’s Caret browsing, which might give you the clue that this is application dependent. You can also look in Shortcuts for F7…

There is no F7 shortcut in my Konsole, if I press F7 I simply get the code: [18~].

This isn’t Gnome.

For konsole, I want to pass F7 to the terminal application (byobu scrolling), and for firefox, I don’t want to press F7 at all, it just happens by itself.

I don’t have an F7 shortcut in Konsole either, just F3 and F11, which is why I’m confused at why F7 is being intercepted

Doing some more testing, it is a global state, so clearly kwin or plasma is the likely culprit.

Normal --(time passes)–> Secret F7 state --(Press F7 manually)–>Normal

Normal: F7 goes to the active application (Firefox, konsole, etc), and ctrl/space act normally
Secret F7 State: F7 exits this state, and Ctrl/space can sometimes send F7 to the active application

Ok, sorry - no ideas here. Byobu is some kind of ‘text window manager’ and I never used it or heard about it before… but it doesn’t look like something designed to run on a Plasma desktop (more to enhance the functional, plain, practical GNU Screen for Ubuntu Server).

I’d start here: GitHub - dustinkirkland/byobu: text window manager, shell multiplexer, integrated DevOps environment

Ah, I perhaps wasn’t clear enough: byobu is just the most common canary or tripping hazard that I encounter this with. This affects all apps, both terminal (byobu, htop, cat/just seeing the ~ printed out in bash) and gui (firefox, darktable, kate, vscode, libreoffice, etc).

Byobu itself, and all the other apps, work just fine without this odd F7 state under GNOME shell

I just had spacebar trigger F7 in kate