What is trying to connect to kdeconnectd?

I block all incoming connections as default on my computer and I have for a long time seen that an android tv box on my network is trying to connect to kdeconnecd.

Now very resently, an Iphone aslo started asking for connection when on my network.

They both ask on port 5353.

I do not have access to these units so to say (neighbor borrows my internet, and I’m ok with it) but I asked and there is no KDE connect installed on any of then (he have no idea what KDE or linux is about xD), he “has an iphone and a tv box”, and that’s it.

A longshot but might as well ask:
Does anybody here know of a good way to gather more info on what it is that is trying to reach my computer?

Since about a few months ago, KDE Connect supports initial support for mDNS which is a more standardized way for devices like printers, TVs and even Google Chromecast to announce themselves on a network.

mDNS uses port 5353, so it’s more likely just general mDNS traffic and not something trying to connect to KDE Connect.

1 Like

So they are responses to mDNS requests from kdeconnecd?

Can I disable these lookups from my side somehow, or is that a bad idea?

It seems unlikely that KDE Connect is involved at all with other services. KDE Connect advertises and watches for services with the name _kdeconnect._udp and will ignore other mDNS traffic.

Are you receiving pairing requests in KDE Connect? If not, then I doubt it’s involved at all. If so, then someone has a KDE Connect device somewhere, because the protocol is fairly unorthodox and it’s almost impossible something could try to pair by accident.

No idea, since I block them before they reach that stage.

It all works as intended on my side.
I was just curious since it explicitly asks for kdeconnecd on port 5353.

I’ll just keep blocking. :slight_smile: