Win10 doesn't boot with neon (Dual booting not working)

I’m trying to setup dual boot on my laptop (Acer A515-56) with KDE Neon and Windows 10, but Windows doesn’t boot when I have the Neon SSD Plugged in.

Also, when I tried to boot Neon with the Windows drive, the laptop gave me an error saying that secure boot failed.

The drives work fine by themselves.

To be honest, I want to get rid of Windows entirely because it’s a pain, but I might need it for school.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
CPU: i7 1165G7
GPU: Intel Xe 96EU
Neon SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb
Win10 SSD: Western Digital WD530 256gb
Laptop model: Acer A515-56

Have you considered moving your Windows install to a Virtual Machine, such as say VirtualBox, running on your Neon install.

Then If you need Windows, for School, or any other reason (except Gaming, I suppose) you need merely open it in the VM

Yeah, I was thinking of using something like QEMU to run a Windows VM, but I was afraid of the performance because I am only running 8GB of RAM, and I’ve heard horror stories of Windows when it’s running on less than 8GB of RAM.

As much as I love KDE, I don’t think I’ll be running Neon on my laptop anymore, since I tried to update it last night (a system update in the discover store) and it ended up bricking itself. It’s now in a bootloop, where it shows the Acer’s logo, tries to run Neon, shows something white on the top left of the screen, and then crashes and reboots. I tried going into the BIOS by spamming F2, but doing that made the laptop go into a state where it was just showing Acer’s logo indefinitely.

I think I’ll be trying to run KDE with OpenSUSE or Debian on my laptop, as I’ve heard they are decent.

I’m using Manjaro KDE on an 8 Gig machine, and I sometime run Windows 10 in a VM. It’s not particularly performant, but it works well enough, I’m using Windows to test Nuitka, a Python Compiler

You can also reduce Windows requirements by reducing Bling, like No 3D. But I have no problems switching from Windows in the VM to my other Apps on the Host… and I tend to run lots of Apps at once. like multiple Instances (not multiple Windows) of Firefox, multiple instances of Dolphin, Spyder (a Python IDE, Handbrake processing Movies for smaller footprint (576p), My movie Database, all while using Windows in the VM.

Also Kwallet Manager, Mulvad VPN, and Of course Konsole.

BTW I’ve been using Manjaro since August Last Year, there are people on the Manjaro Forum who have been using Manjaro for 10 years without any issues. Manjaro is a curated Rolling release.

I’ve had no problems at all. Here’s my system:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 5.15.106-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Pentium® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Notebook
Product Name: W54_W94_W955TU,-T,-C
System Version: Not Applicable

There’s a screen shot of my desktop in Share your Desktop.

Anyway something to think about.

Thanks. I set up a Windows 10 VM using QEMU KVM and it works very well!

Also, I managed to fix my neon install by disabling TPM in my BIOS!

1 Like

I’ve continued to use this install of Neon for a while now, and it works perfectly with no issues so far. Suspend to RAM (deep sleep) works on the A515-56, so there’s no battery issues as well.

There’s actually been no need for the Windows VM, because most of the apps I need work on browsers or have linux ports, and the few that only have Windows versions work flawlessly on Wine.

Even my games work perfectly without issues mostly through proton, and my iGP handles them fine. I guess I don’t play many 3D games though

1 Like