Wireguard install vs KDE import

Hello all,
I hope I post this in the right forum space.
I use Wireguard cross platform, in Android, Windows, Linux.

For Linux I use MX Linux KDE Plasma v: 5.27.5. I used to install wireguard and use a conf file. Everything good.
I just noticed that in KDE I can import the wireguard.conf and it works flawlessly…so far.

So my question is this…what is the difference ? What service is KDE using ? This is pretty cool, but I’m concerned about the security.
Thnak you.

The backend should be NetworkManager. I guess you should be able to inspect the config status using nmcli?

1 Like

I’m still a newbie when it comes to networking…so I don’t really know what to do with the information from nmcli.
I do know that two of the dependencies of wireguard are linux-image-6.1.0-13-rt-amd64 and linux-image-rt-amd64 and for starting the VPN I need elevated privileges.
But in KDE you just import the conf and it works…so is it the same when it comes to security ?

nobody ?
what is the difference ?

Wireguard is part of the Linux kernel. It is true that normally you need superuser access to modify the networking configuration, however desktop environments such KDE have ways of escalating privileges on demand.

Whether you configure WireGuard manually or using the KDE interface it should make no difference. Aside from nmcli you should be able to use the Wireguard CLI tools to inspect the VPN configuration.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

this DOES help … I did not knew Wireguard is part of kernel.
Thank you !

still, if Wireguard is integrated in kernel, I should be able to use it, like

$ sudo wg-quick up blablabla
sudo: wg-quick: command not found

??

Wireguard it is part of the kernel, the command line tools to manage it are not. On Fedora, wg-quick is provided by wireguard-tools. Depending on your distribution you may need to install a specific package.

got it now !
Thank you