Yet another [spring 2024] Laptop which seems to support Linux out of the box

Through the Planet openSUSE news feed, I became aware of a California USA based Laptop manufacturer which supplies hardware supporting Linux and KDE Plasma out of the box.

The hardware looks interesting and, it seems to be environmentally friendly but, at least for me I’ll have to place an international order to obtain an example …
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer>

The only part of the hardware which the news feed author didn’t use as a “daily use by default” item is, the fingerprint reader – it usually functions as expected but, not “usually” enough …

And, the hardware seems to conform to upcoming European laws with respect to repairability …

As far as I know, the three main Linux laptops are Slimbooks, Tuxedo Laptops and Framework Laptops…

Framework has been driving a lot of hype in the industry for a few years now. Linus Sebastian from LTT fame is an investor and has featured them heavily on his YouTube channel.

While their promise of repairable/upgradable computers is interesting and I have no reason to doubt that they are that, they did talk a bit about Linux but didn’t actually offer any promise of support and have shirked away from shipping Linux installed or any firmware or drivers for Linux.

Their we :heart: Linux page promises a lot but I don’t think they actually deliver good value for Linux enthusiast, especially compared to OEMs that actually ship devices with Linux - such as System 76, Tuxedo or even Dell and Lenovo.

The truth is that we’re spoiled for choice today like never before! Yes, not every OEM offers every laptop with some kind of Linux-based OS pre-installed, but the trend is clear, and it’s kind of amazing how you can just throw your favorite distro on practically every device today and pretty much everything works on day 0 with only minor issues expected.

1 Like