I’m getting a black screen after login and nothing happens. I can login successfully as a different user, so probably the latest system update broke something in my profile. Any suggestions where to look?
often times it’s nvidia drivers… maybe a kernel parameter
can you boot to a previous kernel?
also more info is needed from your “about” page.
Thanks for your assistance, but I can login to the desktop as a different user, ergo it is not Nvidia, but something in my user profile / settings. Just have no idea which files to investigate / are the most likely culprits.
You can probably find some info in the log files depending on your system and setup.
If you use a systemd based distro you can check out journald if you use xorg you can check your xorg log etc…
We’re going to need a lot more information to help troubleshoot. Here are some questions to get started:
- Are you logging into the X11 session or the Wayland session? Does the problem happen for both of them?
- What GPU hardware are you using?
- What Plasma version are you using?
- What distro are you using?
- What kind of update did you install, and how did you update it? Do you remember any of the packages that got updated?
as followup to the distro/OS question… If it’s FreeBSD you might check here:
- opensuse tumbleweed
- latest snapshot at the time. This included the new Nvidia driver as well as 6.6 kernel.
It has since been fixed, either by renaming the mime directory in .local/share/mime or a more recent update. I have noticed weird things though: some of my settings are lost, some plasmoids have disappeared and some themes as well. Very strange. But it works?
Is there a specific config file that tells plasmasession which plasmoids and theme to load?