Can no longer connect to NFS share from Dolphin

There might be a package called kio5-extra, maybe something is still relying on that?

Are you talking about cifs?
AFAIK NFS does not work with credentials that way, you can set up access limitations on the server (or rather, you have to open up the server), but not with usr and passwd in that way.

NFS is like you connecting a physical device, but it is over the network. (completely different from for example smb, ftp, sftp etc)
You will use the user you are on the guest, not a username. So the UID on the server has to be the same as on the host. THAT is how credentials are handled on NFS.

Teaching time
:nerd_face:
Caveats of this compared to samba is that you can use it as a normal filesystem, changing credentials with for example chown and chmod (or right click in Dolphin), witch you CAN NOT on samba. (just remember that it is the UID, not the NAME of the user that matters, so make sure users and groups have the same UID and GID on both machines)

Moving files from one NFS directory to another is made directly on the server. On SMB it would be transferred VIA the host, so if you only have lets say 100mbit network (if you use a vpn tunnel over the internet for example), that is the speed limit on a move.
With NFS the speed limitation is the servers hard-drives and bus interface (just like if you were sitting on the server and moving the files, so probably GiB/s if you have ssd:s)
Same with copy ofc.

If you want me to spit out a small tutorial for using systemd.mount, I can, but it really sounds to me you want to use Dolphin here, and then that solution might not be the best.

I think the question you should ask here is:
How do I use nfs:// in Dolphin to connect to my nfs server?
(what does typing nfs:// in Dolphin actually do?)

If you get that answered, I think you can find a solution of how to automate it.

I personally resort to fstab mounts because nfs:// in Dolphin seems not to work for me, see:

I am happy to take any additional troubleshooting advice, anyhow (will try again following some answers in this thread).

Yeah, that thread and the post at the end is why I am asking for someone from KDE to clarify about nfs://.

To me IT IS on KDE to fix.
If they want users to use their preferred method of mounting, one can expect it should work flawlessly right?
And the wording in here is very strong, putting the blame on YOU, the user for it not working.
So a clarification here would be appreciated:

People keep manually mounting network shares, causing hangs, and then blaming KDE code for it

This may be in actual upstream issue. Looking at the source code it looks like the intent is to move nfs from kio-extras to kio, and that it’s been turned off in the current build in anticipation of that. Hopefully someone from KDE can confirm this.

1 Like

nfs:// was removed in KF6, for lack of resources porting it to KF6/Qt6 unfortunately.

It may come back if users miss it, please report a bug then, and all those wishing it back please subscribe to it.

I suggest adding “soft” to the mount options. This will make unmounting possible if the share is not available any more without hangs, freezes and crashes.

1 Like

I use fstab for nfs mounting.
Then, Dolphin sees the nfs volumes in the remot area.

Perform chages in the fstab file takes a coup0le of minutes. Sudo mount -a and it’s all.