Difficulty with KDE Plasma Screen Sharing Feature

I’ve been encountering an issue with the screen sharing feature in KDE Plasma, and I’m hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot it.

Background: I’m using KDE Plasma on Ubuntu 22.04, and I often need to share my screen during online meetings and presentations. However, recently I’ve noticed that the screen sharing feature isn’t working as expected.

Issue: When I try to start screen sharing, either through the built-in feature or using third-party applications like Zoom or Microsoft Teams, the screen sharing session begins but the shared screen appears blank or frozen to the participants. I can see my screen perfectly fine on my end, but others can’t see anything or see only a static image.

Troubleshooting: I’ve tried a few troubleshooting steps, including:

1. Restarting my computer and the screen sharing application.
  2. Checking for updates to KDE Plasma and relevant drivers.
  3. Adjusting screen resolution and refresh rate settings.
  4. Testing screen sharing with different applications and on different networks.

Observations: Despite these efforts, the issue persists. Interestingly, screen sharing was working perfectly fine until a recent update to either KDE Plasma or Ubuntu. I’m unsure if the problem lies with my system configuration, a compatibility issue with KDE Plasma, or a bug introduced in the recent update.

Request for Assistance: If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has suggestions for troubleshooting steps, I would greatly appreciate your insights. Additionally, if there are specific logs or configurations I should check to diagnose the issue further, please let me know.

Any help or guidance would be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I would love your guidance!

Sorry, I don’t know enough about screen sharing to help. I’ve had an issue in the past where Firefox captured just the first frame of my video and then never updated it, but never figured out the cause and now can’t reproduce it anymore either.

I hope someone from the KWin team sees your message and knows enough about screen sharing internals to help out.

@joeroot first things first, are you on X11 or on Wayland?